8.5.

8 . 5 | bonus chapter

RIVER'S POV

I STOOD BY THE ESKIES FULL OF DRINKS, pouring a healthy amount of vodka into my cup. The beach swayed around me and I found that if I looked at the waves too long, I had the urge to vomit.

Not only because the ocean seemed to rock and lap wildly at the sand, but also because of who stood in that water. Before Isla had left, Connor was standing in the water, tossing random girls in the waves before pulling them up for a kiss.

I scowled, pouring more vodka into the cup. That was definitely more than a shot.

I took a long gulp from the cup, letting it burn a trail down my throat. My vision blurred. The beach was rocking, and I felt like I was in the ocean myself, being pushed and pulled by the waves. I looked up, my head spinning and the stars blurring together.

I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling my body sway, when suddenly a heavy arm was thrown around my shoulder. I blinked, turning to meet wide blue eyes.

"Connor," I said.

"River!" he shouted, too loudly, in my ear. "Where's Isla?"

"Left," I answered.

"What!" Connor yelled. "When?"

I narrowed my eyes. My head was too foggy for all these questions. "Two hours ago?"

"Two hours!" he echoed, his tongue knotting and words slurring. "Why didn't you say something?"

"You seemed busy," I said bluntly.

He frowned, his brow wrinkling. "What?"

"Doesn't matter," I said, shoving his arm off of me and turning away. I trudged through the sand, making my way to the edge of the party.

I didn't feel like socialising. Not anymore. The beach was swaying and when I squeezed my eyes shut, all I could see were Connor's lips on that girl's mouth. His arms around her.

I shook my head wildly, taking another burning sip of my drink. What was I thinking? I needed to stop before I said something I regretted.

"River, wait!"

I groaned, Connor's footsteps approaching me. I turned, speeding up as I walked further away from the party. I couldn't deal with him right now. Not when I was half-drunk and had no filter.

"River!" he shouted again.

He reached me in seconds, his long legs taking him across the beach faster than me. He paused in front of me, cutting me off.

"Why are you ignoring me?" he asked, frowning. "Did I –" he paused, slurring on his words. "Do something?"

"You did nothing," I said sharply.

"River," he whined.

"Fuck off."

"What did I do?"

"Nothing."

"River."

"Leave me alone, Connor," I said slowly, struggling over my words. "Why don't you go back to those girls? They probably miss you."

His brow furrowed and his eyes searched mine. "Girls?"

I rolled my eyes, shoving past him, but he was quick, his hand grabbing my wrist. His fingers burned on my skin and I felt warmth spread from my arm to my chest until my ears were red hot.

"Let me go, Connor."

"No," he said, his grip tightening. He stepped closer, suddenly sober, and I felt my breath hitch in my throat.