[Chapter 6]

Chapter 6

The brightness of the daylight shining through the blinds woke Matt up. Not to mention his head was hurting so much. He was surprised to find himself at home. How did he manage to get home? But he was even more puzzled when he felt that he had absolutely no clothes on.

And there was something different about the house.

Matt wrinkled his nose. Where the hell was his wife?

He slowly got up and took a quick shower. The house was unbearably silent. He looked into all the rooms but Veronica was nowhere to be found.

He struggled to recall what happened the night before. When he finally remembered, he smacked his own forehead. He took out his phone.

“Hello?”

Matt didn’t know what to say. “I’m sorry about last night.” His voice was low.

“Yeah, you should be.”

“Look, I didn’t mean to take advantage. And I was too drunk. And.. Bianca, I-I–”

“You-you what?” she said, mocking the way he was stuttering. It made it even harder for him to speak.

“About what I did last night.” Matt drew a slow, deep breath.

“Yeah, you’ve been so annoying.”

He wrinkled his forehead.

“Annoying?”

“Yes, very annoying. You kept on blabbering, I need to go home. My wife’s waiting for me, blah blah blah.”

Matt’s chest pounded violently against his chest. “You mean-“a sudden flashback flashed through his mind. So it was her. It really was his wife he made love with last night. That’s why it felt so damn right.

“It’s a good thing your wife came. I called her to pick you up. I was too tired last night to drive you home. Hey, something wrong?”

He paused. Something was definitely wrong. He remembered trying against his will to shout out his wife’s name thinking it was Bianca he was with. He called out Bianca’s name.

“I’ve got to go now.” He said, pressing the end button.

Matt needed to find his wife.

DAMN IT! He didn’t know how many times he swore. He couldn’t find his wife! He checked at her Dad’s house but she wasn’t there. Elaiza didn’t know either, nor did her other friends. He even went to her boutique but she was nowhere to be found. He tried every place he could think of. He tried every person. The sun was setting but he still hadn’t found Veronica.

He was worried. And he hated that feeling! He had no idea where the feeling was coming from.

Why does he feel guilty? Wasn’t this what he wanted? To hurt her?

But it wasn’t part of the plan! His mind yelled. It shouldn’t have happened!

He was over the speed limit. He had to go to the police.

Matt walked slowly, looking down as if he might topple over anytime. They wouldn’t do a search and rescue operation unless she’d been missing for 24 hours. He knew that already. But he still wanted to try. He nearly got in a fight with an officer.

This was killing him!

He decided to go home and change his clothes. He was bewildered when he saw her car parked. He quickly parked his car and ran towards the elevator.

●●●

The moment Matt opened the door, Veronica was sitting on the couch, reading. She looked surprised. But she swiftly put down her magazine and stood up.

“Where the hell have you been?” Matt scowled.

She didn’t answer and walked towards her room. But Matt quickly blocked her.

When he looked at her, her eyes were red from crying and her lips were quivering.

“Please, I don’t wanna talk.” She uttered as she walked past him.

Matt watched as Veronica entered her room and closed the door. He wanted to go after her, but his legs felt nailed to the ground. And even though he didn’t want to, he could hear her softly sobbing.