[Chapter 11]

Chapter 11

After getting herself cleaned up, Veronica left the room. She thanked the lady again.

She stopped when she saw who was coming her way. It was too late to run away.

“Veronica.” He called as he quickly rushed towards her.

She wanted to run away but she needed to face him. It was the best thing to do. She knew she wouldn’t cry anymore because she was pretty sure she’d run out of tears.

Matt opened his arms, ready to embrace her.

“Just stay where you are, Matt.”

He stopped walking. He shot her a confused glance.

“Veronica, I didn’t-”

“I know. And I don’t really care,” Veronica couldn’t believe she wasn’t breaking down. “But that doesn’t mean I can forgive you.”

Matt was about the grab her arm but she backed away.

“Don’t you come near me.” Her voice was bitter. One more step and she knew, she would breakdown. And she wasn’t going to let that happen

“Veronica…” his voice was quivering and his hands were making a praying motion. “Forgive me. Please–”

“We don’t need to pretend anymore, Matt. Save your sorry. I don’t need it. Maybe it’s a good thing that this happened. Because we don’t need each other right?” she swiftly wiped away her tears.

“I’m going back upstairs. I’d really appreciate it if you leave… And don’t bother visiting. Just stay as far as you can. Because honestly, I don’t want to fuckin’ see you again.” She turned her back on him and before he could say anything she immediately walked away from him. The tears that she’d been holding in finally burst out. The most painful part of loving was not being loved in return… and giving up someone you have loved for so long. And she was doing it. She was giving up… She was finally giving up on Matt. She felt like she needed a heart surgery right now because she felt its broken pieces breaking again.

●●●

Matt couldn’t do anything but leave. He drove back to his mom’s hospital and brought with him an incredible pain… and he had no idea where it came from. His whole body was sore.

It has been a long time since he experienced this kind of pain. It felt twice as painful as it did ten years ago when Veronica left him. She said the same thing–she doesn’t want to see him again.

And why does he feel pain? Because just three days ago, he admitted to himself one certain truth that he’d been denying all the time. He still loves Veronica. Truth is, he never stopped loving her. He just wanted to hate her. And now, things are getting worse. Veronica hates him. The woman he loves was hating him so much. And he had no one but himself to blame.

“How did it go?”

He hid his face from Bianca.

“Too bad, huh?”

“I just couldn’t believe I am still capable of hurting.”

“You’re still human, Matt. How could you think like that?”

“How’s Mom? How’s Dad?” he asked, trying to change the subject.

“Your Mom still shows no sign of improvement, Matt. And your Dad..” she drew a slow breath. “You are so wrong about him.”

He crinkled his brow.

It seemed just yesterday when he brought his mom to Bianca. The best psychiatrist in town. His Mom had an accident on the way to the airport two years ago. The doctor said there was nothing wrong with her. But she wouldn’t talk and was always staring off into distance. So he decided to bring him to Bianca. She was an old friend of his. They went to the same university.