Chapter 18: Malfoy Manor

Harry didn't recognise the surrounding area, as he'd rarely ever left Surrey. All he knew was that civilisation in the surrounding countryside was sparse, a few large manors and even fewer farmhouses could be seen from the large window. They had used the floo to get here obviously, although the idea of Lucius Malfoy driving a limousine was rather amusing. He hadn't had much of a chance to get to know the elder Malfoys, Draco immediately whisking them away for the grand tour. And grand it was. He'd started with the ground floor, showing them the large ball room where the winter balls were thrown every year. Harry, Terry and Lisa had exchanged alarmed glances at that, they hadn't realised! Draco swiftly moved along, showing them the intimidating dining room they would eat in, and the expensive looking sitting room of silvers and blues, the Malfoy family colours. Harry was enchanted by the garden, it was magnificent with a million different shades and hues of flowers, lighting up the large expanse of mazed bushes. The group quickly got bored, and he followed them, though not before throwing a longing glance back. Upstairs was a long hallway of icy faces, the portraits of previous Malfoys staring down at them. Even the other Slytherins looked uncomfortable, and poor Terry flushed bright red under the glare of an old man with white hair and one startling blue eye. Harry himself shrunk under their gazes, not of hate but of surprise and curiosity. Apparantely the portraits of dead people could sense there was something off with him. He could only hope they wouldn't pass it on to Malfoy Sr. Draco showed them their rooms, and graciously allowed them time to settle in before showing them the rest of the house. Harry's was a rather tasteful mix of ebony furniture, dark green walls and silvery blue highlights. It was beautiful, and it occured to him that this was the first bedroom he had all to himself. He'd only really ever had the cupboard at the Dursleys and he shared with Anthony at school. He lay in the bed for a second, revelling in the quiet stillness before unpacking his things and waiting for the rest of the tour. It does by rather quickly, most of the rest of the house being spare rooms and storage. The library was the real monument, and the group had to physically drag Theo and Harry out of there, much to the amusement of Draco's mother. The children quickly clamoured to greet her as she entered, thanking them for allowing them to stay. "You have a beautiful garden, Lady Malfoy." Harry wasn't sure if the surprise on her face was from the flaming words or the compliment, but either way she smiled at him, eyes sparkling. "Oh thank you Harry dear, it's my pride and joy! I only wish Draco would take more of a liking to it." She leveled a slightly sterner look at her son, who only laughed. "Mother won't even allow the house elves to help, she has to do it all herself." Pansy cut in rather pompously after that, clearly trying to simper up to the woman. "At least it's not the Muggle way." Harry wasn't offended in the least, instead deciding to diffuse the growing tension between Pansy and Terry. "Maybe when Draco calms down I could go out and see it, Lady Malfoy." She let out a light charmed laugh as Draco blushed slightly. "Oh I do like you Mr. Potter, no one can fluster my dragon like that. And please, call me Narcissa dear." Narcissa had seemed rather blank and cold when he'd first seen her, although her love for Draco was obvious. Now however, Harry could see it was yet another mask. The Malfoys were certainly Pureblood. Lady Malfoy bid them goodbye and Draco led them back down to the sitting room.

The children thanked Draco for allowing them to stay this Christmas, and there was a moment of silence as formalities faded away. "So you told your parent's I don't talk?" Draco nodded slightly as he ducked his head, rubbing his neck awkwardly. "Yeah, I figured it would be better if they were prepared, then you wouldn't have to explain." Harry simply nodded, he'd never cared that much for what people thought of him. After that the rest of the group quickly descended into chatter, further discussing the Yule ball. "Oh Lady Malfoy always does the best! Mother is very jealous but honestly I don't care so much about ours." Pansy had been quick to describe last year's ball before Daphne had cut in. "Pansy you know you should care more. The ball's are important, it's to show status and decorum. We'll have to throw them once we get married!" It was the first time Daphne looked worried, and Harry wasn't sure if it was about the ball or marriage. Either way he dedicated to finding out. He had discovered he really didn't like it when his friends were unhappy. "It sounds amazing, but I really wish you'd told Lisa and I about it before. I don't even own any dress robes!" The Slytherins all looked at Terry in shock, clearly not comprehending how he hadn't ever owned them. "Unfortunately half-bloods are rarely invited to Pureblood balls. Lisa do you have any?" The others looked ashamed when they realised their blood prejudice had come out. Harry had addressed a few of their notions, the idea that muggleborns and half-bloods were lesser for one. They didn't choose theirs parents, and they weren't even necessarily less powerful! Of course they still had a deep dislike for muggles, but so did Harry so he couldn't argue. He did so hate hypocrisy... "I do, but I haven't worn them for years, they won't fit." Draco nodded, a deep frown on his face, clearly considering his next move, before his eyes widened with light of an idea. "Well we'll have to visit Twilfitt and Tattings won't we?" He looked clearly excited at the idea, and Harry grinned at it. He was always amused when Draco acted his age, in front of others he pretended to be so mature. "Why not Madam Malkin's?" Terry asked slowly, confused. Draco shook his head, leaning forwards to look Terry in the eye. "No, no, no! You can't buy Dress robes from just anywhere. Twilfitt and Tattings aren't the best, but they're of a much better quality for dress robes. Where did you get yours from Harry, I assume you have some?" He nodded. Harry had gone to buy robes at Malkin's, but after seeing Draco turn his nose up at them, he'd explored before deciding. A poster on Twilfitt and Tattings had led him to a shop in Knockturn Alley. There he had found some robes that were just perfect for him. Of course it wouldn't be a great idea for his friends to know he'd gone there. "Malkin's directed me to some other shop, I can't remember the name. They did a very good job though, I think." Blaise nodded, leant back on the chaise lounge contentedly, his eyes closed. "You should ask Narcissa to take a look and double check, just in case. She can spot quality from a mile away. And she seems to like you so..." He shrugged, fading off and clearly not too invested in the conversation. Draco rolled his eyes before standing abruptly. "Well it looks like we have a plan. We should floo to Diagon Alley and get them!" The group burst into chatter at that, Pansy, Lisa and Draco determined it was a good idea versus Terry, Daphne and Theo explaining that it really wasn't. Harry sat next to Blaise who was steadfastly ignoring the group, waiting to see who the winners would be.