The walk

Katara told Sokka , Suki and Iroh about the party. Everyone was so excited and while the others prepared it , Katara and Toph even went to the town to buy some nice dresses and make up.

" I'm genuinely happy. We can buy a cute or sexy dress for you and you will let me do your hair; right ?" Katara said with a bright smile on her face.

" Fine; but i don't want to have cakey make up and high heels." Toph said while she tried to hide her excitement about the party.

" You will look so pretty. No one can resist you." Katara said, still smiling.

They both went to a shop with lots of dresses. Some were short , long , sparkly , glittery and many more. Katara picked a few for Toph and forced her to get change and present t her how she looks. In the same time she picked one dress that really spoke to her and tried it on. They were right next to each other in the changing cabins.

" Are you finished ?" Katara said.

" Not yet. Do I really need to try on all those dresses. " Toph asked.

" Yes you do !" Katara said.

Katara looked at herself at the mirror. Her dress was baby-blue and very long. It showed her shoulders and shaped her waist really nicely. Suddenly, Toph came out of her changing cabin.

" How do I look ?" Toph asked.

" This one is nice, but try out the other ones." Katara said.

Toph went to the changing room and tried on the other dress. It was tight and short. It hugged every curve she had perfectly and it was emerald-green.

" How about this one ?" Toph asked.

" That's the one !" Katara said while her eyes lit up.

" Can I ring you up ?" the owner of the shop said.

They paid for their dresses and went back to the palace to get ready. As soon as they arrived at the palace Katara and Toph went to Toph's room to do make up and style their hair. Katara did her makeup first then Toph's. She put a bit of lip gloss , foundation , mascara and some blush on her cheeks.

Katara turned around to Toph and said " I will do your make you pretty now."

She moved her bangs out of her face and started putting mattifying powder on her face , some blush and bronzer , mascara and lipgloss. Toph's skin was very clear which is why she didn't need foundation. Katara did her hair next . She untied the bun and brushed through her jet-black hair. It was straight but shiny and voluminous.

" I want you to wear your hair loose today. " Katara said while continuing brushing through her hair.

" I probably look super weird right now. " Toph said with a sad tone in her voice.

" No you look really pretty , I am serious." katara said while brushing her bangs so that they would be beside her cheeks and wouldn't cover Toph's face.

" I'm finished. Let's go and enjoy the party." Katara said , grabbing Toph's hand and dragging her to the party.

" Hey guys ...WOAH !" Aang said with a face full of intrigue.

" Toph you look so pretty and of course you too ; Katara." Zuko said.

" I totally agree, but Toph looks like a totally different person." Mai said while looking at Toph.

" Thank you guys." said Toph and blushed.

" Hey Sokka where is Suki ? " Katara asked.

Sokka looked up and said " She had to go on a mission with the Kyoshi girls, but she will be back tomorrow." with a sad voice.

" Man, that's rough buddy." said Zuko with sympathy.

" Let's make the best of it and enjoy the time that we have now." said uncle Iroh and sipped on his tea.

The servants played some music. There was a buffet table with drinks , fruits and some snacks. Momo was on the plate with fruits and tried to peel an orange.

' He did't even make a comment about how I look... I give up ... ' Toph thought.

" Toph , let's dance !" Mai said.

Aang , Katara and Iroh were also dancing. Mai and Toph joined them while Sokka just drank some juice near the buffet and watched them dance. Zuko was too busy with eating all the snacks. Momo suddenly let the orange fall and it rolled right below Toph's feet. She noticed it too late and stumbled back. Sokka was quick enough to catch her. Her head was lying on his shoulder while he carried her by her waist.

'...he is so close ...' Toph thought and felt the heat of his breath on her cheek.

She blushed.

Sokka turned his head and whispered in her ear. " You are lucky that you fell into my arms."

He grabbed her hand and helped her get up while the others continued to dance. It was then that Toph noticed Sokka was still holding her hand.

" Do you want to go for a walk ?" Sokka asked.

He felt the pang of guilt as he thought of Suki but he brushed the feeling away. Friends can go for a walk, right? But do friends hold hands too ?

' ...you have to say something ... don't just be silent...' thought Toph.

" Toph ?" Sokka asked and let out a nervous giggle.

" S-s-sure." said Toph.

She was still noticing the warm feeling of Sokka's hand in hers. They then exited the busy court yard and began to wander down a moonlit path towards the palace garden.