Chapter 6

Thunder sounded as rain poured down and hit the roof of the car. My eyes were tightly shut due to the pain going up my back. The thunder got louder as we drove. The rain beat off the windshield. We had the wipers all the way on but they were barely doing anything.

As we inched our way closer to the hospital, my pain increased. I couldn't focus on anything. The next thing I heard was a loud crash and a jolt to the car. I felt the car start to spin before slipping over the hill and rolling into the creek.

"Avery!" I heard someone call my name. "Avery! You're alright. Breathe." The voice was telling me. I realized that I was close to hyper ventilating. I always get the same dream on nights that it's raining or I hear a loud noise in my sleep. It triggers something.

I start to calm down just as I hear thunder rumble. I squeal and bury my head into my knees. I end up rocking back and forth while trying to breathe. I forget how to and everything seems to slow down.

"Shhh. Breathe Avery. In and out. In and out." I tried it and it started working. "Just focus on my voice Avery. You're fine and you're safe. You're in the apartment and in your room. You're okay." I finally made the voice out to be Mason.

I started to calm down and I felt better knowing that I was back at the apartment. "Are you okay now Avery?" Mason asks. I slowly raise my head to look at him. I nod and he lets out a sigh.

"I'm sorry for waking you up." I mumble but before he can say anything I hear another loud rumble of thunder. Again I squeal and bury my head back into my knees. Thunder and rain had become my worst fears along with any loud crashes. It may sound babyish but I can't hear thunder and not react now.

"Avery, you're okay. It's just a little thunder." Mason said and I shudder. It's just a little thunder to some people. To me it's the thing I fear most. It takes away all good things. It brings things with it that has a way of ruining lives.

Mason sits on the edge of my bed and I feel his hand go on the middle of my back. "Are you afraid of storms?" He whispers in the darkness of my room. I nod but I don't know if he can see it.

"I'm sorry. You can go back to bed. I'll be fine and try to not make any loud noises." I tell him.

"You are not fine right now. You are shaking harder than a hairless dog in a snow storm." He says and I chuckle a little at his comparison. "You also are still not breathing normally and your heart rate is rapid." He states.

"I'll be fine in a little bit. I don't like storms. Sorry again for waking you up." I tell him hoping that he will leave. I don't want him to know how much of a baby I am. But of course I hear more thunder and make a little squeal. I hold it in as much as I can but I start shaking harder.

Mason wraps his arms around my curled up body and pulls me towards him. I tense up at the feeling of his skin on my shirt. I quickly relax into his hold and the next thunder I hear, I grasp his shirt tightly. He doesn't say anything, he just stays there. Most people can't calm me down from panic attacks and hyper ventilating. Mason seemed to calm me down quickly.

I start to feel tired again but I don't want to sleep. I feel Mason loosen his grip around me. "You should sleep Avery. You're tired."

"Mason?" I asked before he stood up from the bed. "Can you stay?" I whisper. I don't want to be left alone right now.

"Oh uh. I have to sleep in my room." He states and I feel my heart drop but I nod.

"Oh okay." I tell him and expect him to leave.

"But you can come in there too if you want. Layla's monitor and everything is in there." He tells me quickly. I feel like that was just to make me feel better.