Chapter 24

Masons POV

I was currently sitting on the couch talking with Averys dad and brother. Bill, her dad, was talking racing with me while Rob just watched the tv. Avery came and got Layla from me so I didn't have to watch her.

"How's your racing coming along?" Bill asks.

"I haven't went to many races recently. With the fire and getting the new house set up I haven't had enough time. Plus I didn't want to leave Avery alone where she was so sick. The property I bought has an old race track at the back of it so I've been working on getting it fixed up. I'm going to open it hopefully next year as long as everything's finished."

"That's wonderful. How many acres is it on?" He asks me.

"The whole property itself is about 50 acres. There's the house upfront and then woods separating the track from the house. The track and the cleared land for parking lots and the pit is probably around 5 acres." I say after I figure it out in my head. Talking to Averys dad is just like talking to mine. We understand each other through our knowledge of racing.

"That sounds like a nice set up if it's finished properly." He says and I nod.

"It may not be open by next year. I'm hoping to get it finished before the baby's due date so that I won't have to worry about it. If it's not finished then it will be put on hold until the next year." I explain and he nods.

"What's your plan with my daughter?" He questions me.

"I'm going to be there for her and the baby once it gets here. Hopefully sometime in the future she will be ready for more than just dating. I don't want to push her into anything after all that happened." I tell him honestly and he nods approvingly.

"That's exactly what I was hoping you'd say. I know I was asleep when she needed me after the accident but I know it changed her. It broke her heart and somehow she met you. You helped her and she looks happier now." He tells me.

"Thank you. That means a lot." I say and it was true. Hearing him say that he approves of Avery and I's relationship means so much.

Before he continued the conversation, Avery and her mom walked in with Layla. Avery sat down beside me and set Layla in my lap. I put my arm around Avery and pulled her towards me. She rested on my shoulder. "She ate some banana but she didn't act very hungry." Avery told me and I nodded.

"Thank you." I said to her.

"How long are you guys staying?" Bill asked.

"3 more days." Avery told him. He turned towards me.

"We should go to the track tonight. You can check out how they are down here." Bill offered. I looked down at Avery.

"If you want to, we can." She tells me with a shrug. I smile back to Bill.

"Then sure, I'd love too." I told him.

"Great, we can meet there at 6. Avery knows how to get there." Bill told me.

"We should probably get going then. I want to take them to the beach for lunch." Avery tells her parents.

"Alright sweetie. We will see you later." Her mom tells her. Avery gets up to give her parents and brother a hug before coming back to me. I stand up and grab Layla's diaper bag before following Avery out the door.

"Well that went better than I thought it would. They love you." Avery says as she gives me directions back to the hotel.

"They are alright too." I tell her with a small smile. "You're alright with going to the race right? We don't have too if you don't want to."