VII. A BITTER CHRISTMAS

╔══════════════════════╗VII

VII. A BITTER CHRISTMAS
╚══════════════════════╝

25 December, 1977
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
The Great Hall/School Courtyard

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

THE GREAT HALL was nearly unrecognizable, looking like what muggles would call a "winter wonderland." The hall was decorated with intricate glittering lights and tinsel, with the ceiling giving the allusion that it was snowing inside. All throughout the hall, everyone conversed with their peers, beaming smiles plastered on their faces.

Well, everyone except Eloise Potter.

The young Potter girl had an idea as to why such a deep frown was etched onto her face at the moment. You see, every Christmas for the past five years, Eloise and Regulus had spent as much of their day together drinking hot chocolate and playing in the snow, even if it required lying and sneaking out on his part, as they could. So maybe, she thought, it was because this Christmas Ball had interrupted their unestablished tradition.

Or maybe, it was the fact that Regulus was on the dance floor, smiling and dancing with his date.

His date that's not you, a voice in the back of Eloise's mind rang. Her frown deepened.

She had been trying to suppress the ever-growing feelings she had for her best friend for a while now. She was afraid of ruining what they had, and how humiliating it would be if he didn't reciprocate her feelings.

But there it was, Regulus Black dancing the night away with Patricia Parkinson, a clingy, whiny pureblood supremacist that Eloise had never liked. She wasn't sure whether she felt more jealous or bitter about it, but what she was sure of was that she hated Patricia Parkinson and her stupid, smug face.

Parkinson had walked up to the pair while they were on their way to Potions only days before the ball, asking Regulus to be her date, flashing Eloise that hideously smug smile of hers. Eloise hated Parkinson and her horrid smile, but what she hated more, was the sting in her chest when Regulus smiled back, agreeing to be her date.

And it was at that moment that Eloise knew, she was done for. She couldn't deny her feelings any longer. It was far worse than she imagined.

She was in love with Regulus Black, her best friend.

The worst part of everything, was that Patricia Parkinson looked (although Eloise would rather step in Hippogriff dung than admit it) stunning in her dress. She could understand why Regulus would take an interest in her, but at the same time, not really. She had a horribly bland and irritating personality.