Chapter 32

Why didn't this fool boy just let me die, thought Kyla as she sagged on Masis' supporting shoulder. If he had, she would not have to endure the torture that was sure to come when they were captured.

She had tried to break into an easy lope upon recovering enough of her faculties, but her body simply refused. So, she had walked as quickly as her limited strength would allow and then, when even that began to fail, she had to hobble, until finally Masis had offered himself as a crutch, putting her arm over his shoulder. With this arrangement they had been able to make some progress. But it would not be enough.

Turning her mindeye on Masis again, Kyla grunted with mild satisfaction when she did not detect a hint of mesmer.

At least the boy can do something right, she begrudgingly conceded. Maybe he has a chance of surviving the venom. Hopefully. Otherwise, he won't survive me.

She pushed away the memories of the night she had ended her son. Shaking her head, she went on. Half-walking, half-carried, they made their way around trees, boulders, and underbrush alike. They skirted drop-offs and waded into shallow streams, following their course for as long as they could, further hoping to muddle their trail.

Some of my training must have sunk in, Kyla observed, as she never had to direct Masis to take those precautions.

Upon leaving the glade, she had stopped Masis at its edge, directing him to set it afire to destroy their scent. Even then, with her head pounding and her breathing rough and uneven, she lacked the necessary focus to set even a small spark. She had explained how to bring fire into being, had warned him of the dangers it posed because of its hungry, wild nature, and then let him prop her against a tree so that he could concentrate. He had hesitated only for a moment as he looked on the unique flowers, his face twitching downward into a frown before he thrust his hand out in front of him.

Why do they always point at what they want to Work? Kyla had puzzled. It does nothing.

The next instant the entire glade burst with fire. A single brilliant flash that followed the dale's contours perfectly. The blaze had popped out of existence as soon as it came. Masis had jumped back, hand snatched to his side, his face wide with surprise. The image of the sudden combustion had still danced in front of Kyla's vision.

Blooming Shadows! Kyla had thought, blinking her eyes clear. What has Wilo done to this boy?

Nothing had remained of the glade. No flower. No blade of grass. Only a black flat mat of ash exuding the sharp tang of incinerated earth. They had fled immediately after.

Both Mona and Mani abandoned the sky, their fine light no more illuminating the woods. This, however, was one of those rare nights when Manu traversed the sky in full view. But unlike her sister and brother, she did not shine white and clear. The light that Wilo cast on her from the other side of Werold got gobbled up in her sphere and only a ruddy ochre luster glared off her. That angry glitter did little to illuminate Kyla's and Masis' way through the stunted pines. But still they pressed on.

Why of all nights did you have to be in the sky? Kyla wondered, scowlingly. It could be the only night for some weeks in which Masis could purge the venom. And we have to be chased by blooming wighties!

Sloshing through a rill's ankle deep waters, they kept on. But ever slower. Kyla's strength flagged still, requiring Masis to compensate more and more. Their pace became a creep. Despite the cool night gusts, Kyla's brow beaded with sweat. Every breath burned. What little blood remained in her body scorched her nose with its hot iron stench.

I've lost too much blood, she thought, imagining she had actually spoken the words out loud. Only mumbles had tripped out. When Masis did not reply, she tried again.