Chapter 35

Eyelids closed, Kyla lay still on the ground.

The morning symphony of perky, pesky birds chittered away, branches rushed about with the morning breeze, their leaves snickering in the morning sun, and the uproarious snores of Masis Domrae, lying somewhere nearby, bombarded her. She had not slept so deeply or so soundly in many a year. Just coming into herself, in the chilled morning air, she tightened and stretched every muscle in her body, twisting this way and that, allowing her consciousness to expand in as gentle a manner as possible. Every bit of her lacked energy, a general feebleness infected each of her systems—her breathing more labored, her limbs more sluggish, her mind not quite as quick.

Curse that boy for saving me in such a sloppy manner, thought Kyla.

If he had done a half decent job, she would have been able to kill a wightie or two the previous night, rather than be the damsel in distress waiting for some blundering idiot to save her.

Working her eyes open, she sat up carefully, not trusting her body completely. Eyes and hands went over every inch of herself, checking for anything amiss. Neither found anything out of place.

At least the boy can do something almost right, she thought, hoisting herself to her feet.

Hands braced just above her backside, Kyla leaned back as far as she could, her spine complaining until it popped several times, sending a warmth throughout her body.

They were taking me toward the capital, mused Kyla. To the night queen. She looked about at all their gear, mostly Masis' belongings, and sighed. Well, that's it then.

Passing the still snoring boy, now in his human form again, Kyla gathered what little they had and packed it away. Stowing the few odds and ends back into Masis' pack, Kyla finished in a matter of minutes, ever efficient in whatever task she performed, though a bit lethargic in her current state.

Now, to wake my sweet prince, thought Kyla, as she turned back to Masis with a wicked smirk on her face and purr in her throat.

Sprawled on his back, arms thrown haphazardly to either side, Masis snored on, his mouth hanging open and his eyes sealed shut. In her mindeye, Kyla could no longer see him. The Wardenhood's new added layer concealed his lifelight perfectly from any prying mindeye. Where she could hide her lifelight, with great effort and considerable pain—the sensation akin to holding live coals—Masis now made no effort and had better results. It was one of the Warden's greatest gifts.

It's the only reason he survived the nightlings, thought Kyla. Next time, they will be ready for him.

Crouching down, Kyla swung her hand to clip Masis right across his nose.

His hand snatched her wrist before she reached her mark.

Kyla yelped.

Pulling her toward him, Masis grabbed Kyla with his other hand and then tossed her through the air, as unceremoniously as a sack of flour. She managed to right herself but still landed with a great splash in the middle of the stream. Sputtering and fuming, eyes momentarily befuddled with water, Kyla froze when the first waves of laughter rolled over her. At first it came tight and controlled, but immediately gave way to unrestrained levity, loose and wracking.

Clearing her vision with one quick motion, Kyla found Masis on his knees, his arms wrapped around his middle. Tears rolled down his face. His levity appeared nigh unto pain.

"I got... you," he choked out. "I... actually... got you."

Water that had splashed in her face, cool and sweet, dripped from her chin as she strode from the brook, stopping on the bank to shake away some of the moisture, her face weighed down with a frown. Running her tongue along the smooth contours of her teeth, Kyla just stood there, breeches soaked to the knees, winigas drenched. The heat of her lifelight scurried down her legs and sent steam rolling from the fabric.