Chapter 43

Kyla had traveled down several other vessels before she stopped. She may have leaned on the railing, Wilo's late beams warming her face, but her mindeye kept track of a particular lifelight, pure for all but a single dark canker.

Master Elwith had caught her eye as he begun to move down the line of vessels without a single one of his underlings in tow. He had spoken to a few of the crew members, nodded to others, ignored most, all while moving ever toward the rear of the rail-ship. He had done nothing to make her believe him incompetent, except place his trust in the wighties. A madness that seemed as catching as a cold at this point. And that single indiscernible soulwound, ever floating about his lifelight, had intrigued her at first, then puzzled her. Such defects were not uncommon. Usually they represented a past scar that a person had let fester until manifesting permanently in their lifelight. With enough study, a perceptive individual could usually discover its source, whether hate, fear, self-loathing, or a combination of those and any number of things. Kyla may not have been the Warden any longer, naturally attuned to people's emotions, but she had a keen mind and four hundred years of experience. Such a small mystery should have yielded to her already. But still it refused. So now she trailed the High Mage, again trying to work out what that little spot hid.

With the wind-stones above and the motion of the rail-ship, currents of air rushed every which way, ruining any chance of scenting her quarry. Still he made no effort to be discreet. Master Elwith marched along the deck, every now and then, stopping too gaze out over the ever changing scenery. Never lingering long, he continued down the line, ever toward the rear.

Kyla followed at a distance. She stopped when he did, leaning against a mast, or the railing, or, in one instance, when he moved back in her direction, she scaled the rough ropes of a ratline. Waiting a minute after he had climbed to the next vessel, Kyla crossed like any other member of the crew. She did not want to draw attention to herself.

Of course, Master Elwith could have been simply allowing her to follow him, keeping track of her easily with his mindeye or catching glimpses of her when turning about. Both were possibilities. She could have smothered her lifelight, hiding it for a time, or masked her physical form, keeping him from catching any hint of her, but she could only conceal her lifelight for so long and withholding only her body would surely draw his attention. So, on she went, exposed. And yet he showed no signs of suspicion.

If I was still Warden, I wouldn't have to worry, Kyla thought, scraping her tongue against her teeth, swinging onto the next vessel. Maybe if Masis was a bit more observant, he'd be the one following Elwith.

Kyla wove around the men that had begun to light the lamps as the light faded. Wilo had only about a finger of life left. When he finally dropped beneath the horizon, everyone would retreat to below decks, except for a few in the vessels whose sails were unfurled.

She pressed on. A frown bowing her mouth as her thoughts invited Masis back to the forefront of her mind.

Why couldn't he just do what I wanted him to do? Why not just this once?

It's worked out in the past when he hasn't followed your direction exactly. Werold's voice, mellow and motherly, bubbled up in Kyla's mind. Hasn't it?

"What do you want?" Kyla asked out loud, drawing some eyes to her. She shook them away, already feeling the calm seep into her from Werold, a wholeness she always forgot she lacked.

I don't want anything really, said Werold. What is it you want? Your need called out to me.

I want to end this centuries-long nightmare, Kyla thought back, reclining against the railing as Master Elwith made one of his frequent pauses. And that won't happen unless Masis learns to use all of his abilities, not just a few. Every method I've tried has failed. Perhaps, I've failed. Perhaps, it's me.