31. "the garden"

Lucy Heartfilia

I tapped my feet impatiently as James paced around the room, looking for some important business papers around our office room. "Are you sure you can't come to the meeting, honey?" he asked, wrapping his tie while staring at himself in the mirror.

The business meeting he talked about was all the way in Crocus, with Princess Hisui. As much as I want to see her, I have another meeting for myself...

"Sorry sweetie, I have so much wedding planning to do. I had to rush everything since you upped the date to this week." half of it was a lie. But he didn't need to know that. "Tell the Princess I said I missed her and make sure she comes to the wedding."

I bit my lip as I cringed at the last line. Make sure she comes to the wedding? Will there even be a wedding?

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the thought that if I were to go see Natsu tonight, he'd just confess his love for me. Geez, am I assuming too much? I mean his reaction to the wedding date was very strange and very unlike him.

But even so... I wonder what he wants to talk about. In private too.

Is he gonna ask to cancel the wedding again. But why? Because I wouldn't be able to come back to the guild anymore?I mean our entire argument is leading me to believe that the only relationship we have between us is guild mates.

I sure as hell can't just remain as best friends. Its not fair.

I needed a third party opinion over this. Should I meet with Natsu? Hear him out for once without having to throw a petty tantrum. Or should I leave him hanging, just as he did a year ago.

"Hey Lucy, I'm craving some sweets-"

"Mirajane!" I flinched hearing her voice suddenly burst into my room. I stood abruptly from my seat, genuinely startled.

She giggled, rubbing her humongous stomach. "You mind me using your kitchen to bake some cake?" She continued her sentence.

I nodded my head nervously, "yea go ahead i don't mind-"

"Alrighty thanks-"

"But before that!" I interrupted her just before she could step out my room and head to the kitchen.

Is this a good idea? Consulting my relationship problems to Mirajane. I mean, I asked for a third party opinion and here she walks in as if God sent her to answer the million dollar question.

Before I could change my mind and have her continue doing what she was going to do, she closed the door and locked it, making sure we had our privacy.

The devilish smirk on her face, it already seems like she knows what I'm about to ask her. "So uh, Natsu asked to meet him tonight. It seems important but... I'm not sure if I should go."

"Well why wouldn't you," she answered bluntly. "You love him dont you."

My eyes widened as she spoke aloud with ease, not sensing the dire situation i was in. "I'm getting married for Mavis-sake!" I huffed, starting to pace around my room. "A-and, i dont love him."

"Oh Lucy," she sighed. "Why do you continue lying to yourself." I rolled my eyes turning away from her gaze. "No matter how much you deny it, you know I'm right."

"I-I dont love him!"

"Then don't meet him." I flinched hearing those words. "Simple as that." My eyes widened hearing her short sentence. It was simple. There was clearly one answer and that was it.

Dont see him tonight. Lucy you have a fiancé. Lucy you have a business, a responsibility, a life.

Do you want to throw everything away for a man whom you're not even sure he loves you?