𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓔𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽

I tossed and turned the rest of the night wondering if maybe my mysterious illness was causing me to have hallucinations or what I actually saw was true.

   My mind has been quite fuzzy these last few days, but what the uncanny fellow back in Tapleyville said about witches, kept flying around in my mind.

   Was it even remotely possible that his "myth" was real. I mean, it's only been over a century since the Salem Witch Trials. If I believed that they had happened, could Lucille possibly be a descendant of one of them?

   My restless sleep was abruptly cut short with a settle knock at the door.

   "Henry dear. Are you awake?"

   Although I was not as groggy as I once was, I didn't want to give her any idea that I was suspicious of her behavior.

   "Yes, I'm awake," I faked a less than believable cough.

   "Alright, I'm coming in with your breakfast," she uttered, smirking her crooked, yellow teeth as she opened the door, carrying that same old tray with what you want to know, that mug of porridge and bread.

   What's with her and that food? Can't she cook anything else? It wasn't even delicious as it once was before. If anything, it now had a funky taste.

   "Thank you Lucille. In fact, I think my fever broke."

   Her warmness began to melt as I continued.

   "Since my strength is returning, I thought it would be best to get out of your hair...so..."

   She interrupted me mid sentence, "No Henry! Please, you can't go! At least not yet. You still haven't fully recovered yet and I'm rather enjoying your company. I hardly get any visitors."

   "But I must!" I pleaded while I sat up. "I'm already way behind schedule!"

   Not liking my sudden defensiveness, she countered with a devilish redness in her eyes, "Now you listen to me Henry. You are not well, which means you're not thinking rationally. I don't mean to be firm, but I'm only looking out for your health."

   I definitely was considering my getaway plan now that she exploded into this unanticipated manner, but I didn't want to test her limits, so I complied.

   "You're right, I should stay. I'm sorry if I have offended you."

   "Oh no dear, you're fine. At least stay for one more night, then you're free to go," she returned that unflattering smile.

   I reluctantly nodded my head in agreement.

   "Now, how about some good ol porridge and rye bread? It sure works wonders!"

   "Uhh...sure. That would be great."

   These meals were also another perfect reason to flee this place. One more spoonful of this mush and I think I might just explode!

   "Oh, and I almost forgot!" She placed my bowl back on the tray. "I'm going to be outside for just a little bit to pick some cabbage. I'm running a tad low on my stock. In the meantime, I want you to stay put in here since I won't be able to hear you ring the bell if you need assistance."

   This was not going to help pursue my plan. There's no way I could just leave without her noticing me while she was outside moseying around. What would I say if she caught me? I finally came to the conclusion that it was in my best interest just to stay put and attempt to escape at nightfall when she was sleeping. If she ever did sleep!

   "I completely agree. As a matter of fact, I think staying in bed has been helping."

   "See, I told you so," she playfully chortled.
"Now I'll let you get some rest. I'll be back in the evening with your dinner."