twenty-nine || high in the misty highlands

THIS CHAPTER WILL CONTAIN MATURE CONTENT! THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONLY WARNING I WILL GIVE OF THIS AS IT IS IN THE STORY DESCRIPTION THAT THIS BOOK IS INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ENJOY! P.S. the song for this chapter is "Worst In Me," by Unlike Pluto :)

***********

I saw you standing there and I knew
I'm done for, it's over, I'm through
Playing games from the start
Sinking your nails in my heart

You bring out the worst in me

***********

Tate

   The plane landed and we got off and piled into two separate cars at the airport. Niall, Will, and Abel were in one, and of course, Harry and I were in the other. I don't think any of the boys wanted to even take a chance at pissing Harry off after what happened on the plane. 

      We pulled out of the airport and began the drive to the safehouse.

  "I'm sorry about Will," Harry suddenly spoke, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

   "What is his problem?" I asked.

 Harry let out a sigh. "Well, obviously I was wrong when I said that no one but Whit noticed that I cared about you, and I don't think Whit is too happy that my interest in you is turning me into a somewhat nice guy," he admitted, and when he said that he cared about me, I blushed.

   It was quiet for a minute before Harry spoke again. "You do realize we can't do this, right?"

  I furrowed my eyebrows, turning to face him. 

   "Do what?"

  He scoffed. "Really, Tate? Do you think that we can get through this without talking to each other? Without touching each other?"

   I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Oh, don't flatter yourself Styles, I'm not exactly fawning over you, am I?"

   "Tate cut the bullshit. I know you feel what I feel too," he snapped.

   "I don't know what you're talking about, Harry. I feel nothing for you," I lied.

"Really?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow. "Then how do you explain the way that every time I touch you, you get goosebumps? Or how whenever I compliment you, your cheeks turn a bright red? Or the way that whenever things are going wrong, it's my arms that you want to be in?" He challenged. 

       "That doesn't mean anything, Harry. I am going through a lot right now, and I just needed some sort of human contact," I lied again, turning to face my head towards the window, so he wouldn't see right through me.

    "Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, princess," he murmured, and I couldn't help but smile at the nickname.

   I shook the thoughts out of my brain and turned back to face him.

   "It's like Will said, it doesn't matter what we feel about each other, which by the way, I feel nothing about you. But it doesn't matter because I'll be dead soon anyway," I explained as if it were the most casual thing in the world. 

    "Stop fucking saying that!" He shouted, slamming his hand down on the steering wheel and causing me to jump a bit in my seat.

    He sighed. "Stop saying that," he repeated, this time much softer. 

  I nodded my head. "Okay, I'll stop saying it," I replied, even though I knew that me not saying it did nothing to hide that it was true. 

      "I'm not going to let anything happen to you," He spoke, although it seemed as though he was saying it to himself more than me.