24 | Wonderful

Y/N

_

I WANTED TO HOLD HIS HAND.

We had gotten off of the nearest train stop, snuck into his house without waking his parents, and found ourselves sitting on top of his roof while the night sky loomed above. I wanted to hug him, or lace my fingers through his, but the moment didn't feel right yet.

We had yet to speak about the important things.

"So..." I said quietly, my knees pressed against my chest, "Louis."

He turned his head towards me, "[y/n]."

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

I didn't want him to know. I wanted him to listen to me as I tried to explain myself for not being so trusting. I wanted him to keep looking at me with that light in his eyes so I didn't feel like I lost touch with him.

But all he did was stare out at the skyline in front of us.

"Millie came to talk to me," I mumbled, biting my lip, "she told me why you couldn't tell me."

He sighed, "I know that too."

"Then what don't you know?" I sighed, staring up at the navy tinted sky, "I feel like you don't want to talk to me."

"I do want to talk to you."

"Then why are you only saying 'you know'?"

"Because I don't care," he said, his legs swinging off the roof, "I don't care about what happened, and I don't care about the play, I just want to talk to you."

I blinked, "you are talking to me."

"We aren't talking if you're apologizing," he sighed, "you shouldn't be apologizing."

"I should."

"[y/n]."

"Louis?"

"Do you want to know why I cried that day?" He asked, glancing aside.

I exhaled, turning to look at my feet. Millie must have told him I knew. I was silent for a second, just letting it all sink in, before opening my mouth to respond. Thinking about Louis crying hurt too much to want to know the answer, but my curiosity got the better of me.

"Why?" I said softly.

"I wasn't crying because you hurt me," he explained, pushing a stray piece of hair out of his face, "I was crying because I hurt you."

"What?"

"Watching you watch off like that made me feel like the biggest idiot in the world. I kept telling you I wasn't like Keith, and that you had to stop comparing to me, and then I realized I was just as bad as him."

"You're not like him—"

"I called you a mess, and I didn't mean it, and I hurt you."

"I hurt you too," I cut in, "it was all just a big understanding that messed things up for us."

"Can we fix things, though?" He asked.

I held out my arm towards him, my fingers stretched out longingly. We were never good at serious conversations, it just wasn't like us. We weren't made to fight. Louis glanced at me, a smile creeping onto his face, as he pressed his hand next to mine.

We both knew everything was forgiven.

"Do you know what's wonderful?" he mumbled, under his breath, pulling me closer to him.

I laughed softly, "what?"

"You," he smiled, "you are what's wonderful."

There was the Louis I knew.

The flirty, adorable, and smirky boy that waited for me everyday by the steps of the theater. I had missed him so much, and I felt like the world was finally better now that he was here with me.

"Louis..." I blushed, looking away bashfully.

"Don't look so embarrassed," he teased, sliding his hand around my waist, "I'm trying to tell you I like you."

"I already know you like me."

"Well let me tell it to you twice," he said, "I thought I lost you, and yet you showed up in my life again."

"With a tea cup in hand?"

"With a tea cup in hand," he laughed, before pausing to think.

There was something deep on his mind, and I could tell because he was biting his lip. He did that when he was lost in his mind.

"I think I was meant to meet you that day," he continued, turning to look at me again.

I cocked a brow, "you think so?"

He squeezed my hand, "I know so."

It was an undeniable moment of resolution, and we both really only wanted to do one thing. Something a silly misunderstanding deprived us of. I tilted my head at the boy, narrowing my eyes playfully. He narrowed his back.

"So," he grinned, "want to kiss on the roof?"

Well, that was more blunt than I thought.

Then again, I'm talking about the guy who asked me to be his girlfriend like a waiter asks what I want to order. He had an odd way of doing things, but I loved every bit about them.

"Honestly, Louis?" I smirked, "I'd kiss you anywhere."
_
Awe this book is almost over in a couple chapters :(
Keep your eyes peeled for NEVERLAND 👀