Concert

Author's Note:

If you're averse to Riri smut, turn away now!

---

The day before the concert, their second to last day in Zurich, seemed to pass by slowly for Jeong-hyeok. It was the orchestra's last full day of practice and they were making full use of it. This was a lifelong dream for him, one that he hadn't dared to believe too much in. He knew that he should appreciate every chance he had to play the piano, no matter if it was practice or a performance. And yet.

And yet, he found himself distracted with thoughts of her. Thoughts of how they had lain on the bed last night facing each other, just basking in the pleasure of being able to watch the other's face. Of the flutter of her eyelashes when she was struggling to stay awake. The way a smile would crinkle up the corners of her eyes. The feel of her hair against his face, tickle of her breath behind his ear...

"Jeong-hyeok tongmu, you're not feeling unwell are you?" the conductor asked with genuine concern. "You look... flushed."

"Ah, no, it's just stuffy in here," Jeong-hyeok cleared his throat to cover up his embarrassment.

The hours ticked by slowly. They finished late, at almost 9pm. He returned to his room as quickly as he could, the eagerness to see her burning a hole in his stomach. She wasn't in his room, and Jeong-hyeok was already turning to go to hers before he caught sight of a piece of paper on his desk.

Thinking you'll be done late tonight. Don't worry about seeing me, I'll probably be asleep by the time you're back.

In case we don't meet before the concert tomorrow, good luck! I can't wait to watch you perform on stage for the first time.

Jeong-hyeok set the note back down on his desk, disappointed. He had been looking forward to sharing today's news: that they could possibly see each other again in 3 months. He was especially looking forward to the part where her face lit up with that uniquely Yoon Seri smile.

He hesitated and checked his watch: 9:20pm. She didn't usually go to sleep that early, did she? Jeong-hyeok turned to the door, thinking to put his shoes back on and pay her a visit just to see. But if she was asleep, he wouldn't want to wake her. He turned back into his room again.

He would take a quick shower instead. After he was done, he instinctively checked his watch again: 9:40pm. It wouldn't do any harm to write her a note and slip it under her door. Maybe he would bring her room key, too, just in case.

I just wanted to say good night and to share some good news I learned of today:

The orchestra will be visiting Shanghai in the 2nd week of June for an exchange with the Shanghai Symphony Orchestra. We will most likely be based near the Shanghai Symphony Hall, for 2 weeks.

He took the stairs down to her floor. Noting that there was still light under her door, Jeong-hyeok debated with himself for a minute before deciding to use his key card. He opened the door gently and peeked in to see Seri lying on the bed in her bathrobe, covered in some sort of pink face mask with her eyes closed. He paused, then let the door close softly behind him and walked a couple of steps in. No reaction. She was, indeed, asleep.

He walked quietly to stand beside her, considering her peaceful form for some time. Was it okay to sleep the whole night with that mask on her face? He tilted his head, trying to remember back to when she had put those face masks on Chi-soo, Kwang-beom, Ju-meok and Eun-dong. Moisturising, she had said. Well, she could breathe. It wouldn't burn her skin off, he thought. Jeong-hyeok would let her be. Since she was lying on top of the blanket, he found the bed throw and covered her gently with it. Then he left his note on her bedside table and switched the light off before leaving.