Infiltration

Ri Jeong-hyeok didn't have much use for anger.

He valued informed decisions. Thoughtful action. Time for evaluation.

But today of all days, it seemed that anger couldn't leave him well enough alone.

It began at the joint recital with the Shanghai Symphony Orchestra. The purpose of the State Symphony Orchestra of DPRK's visit to Shanghai was an exchange program between their corresponding youth orchestras. Select members of the orchestra proper, such as Jeong-hyeok, had come along to Shanghai to mentor the younger players. The joint recital at the end of the week was a showcase for the workshops and practice sessions they had been running throughout the two weeks prior.

Accordingly, the recital itself wasn't a fancy affair, even though it was taking place in the Shanghai Symphony Hall. Attendees were comprised of mentors from the DPRK and Shanghai orchestras, some friends and family of the performers, and various classical music insiders such as other performers, teachers, and patrons. And, it seemed, Yoon Seri and her plus one for the night, one Agent Ko.

Steady breaths. Stop looking their way. Relax your jaw. These were the practical reminders Jeong-hyeok kept repeating in his head as everyone mingled in the lobby before the performance. Today must be their mission, then. Agent Ko is not your enemy. Anger is your enemy.

Repeating the mantras in his head wasn't working perfectly. He felt anger hovering like a mist at the edge of his every move. He still had time now. He should make a plan to weed out the DPRK orchestra member they were targeting as an informant. If he could just do that, then the NIS's plans would amount to nothing. Seri wouldn't have to be involved. He would be helping his country, as a bonus.

Who was he kidding? They had ten minutes until the performance would begin. Jeong-heok didn't have time to do anything.

He should approach this logically. Methodically.

These were his assumptions:

That Agent Ko had been sent to make contact with someone either in their State Symphony or the youth orchestraThat their aim was to extract information, or maybe to turn that someone into an informant for future useThat Seri was involved because she had a legitimate reason, as a known patron of musical talent, to make contact with that someone, earn their trust, and introduce Agent Ko to themThat Seri had no idea what she was getting involved withThat this would end horribly

These were things that he actually knew:

That he was no longer part of the military or any government branch, and thus should stay out of this whole affairThat Yoon Seri was not a foolish womanThat Agent Ko's hand was on her arm, where it had no business being

Jeong-hyeok blinked, shook his head, looked away. The methodical approach wasn't working very well either.

"Try and be a little less obvious," someone said next to him. It took a while for Jeong-hyeok to even register the voice. He looked to see Seo Dan standing next to him, elegant and composed as ever. She was holding two cocktails, and casually handed him one as if he had asked for it.

Jeong-hyeok tried again to relax his jaw. "It's pink," he commented, looking down at the syrupy looking drink.

"That's the only colour choice available," Seo Dan said.

They stood silently with their drinks, Jeong-hyeok still putting great effort into keeping his eyes away from where Agent Ko and Seri were standing. He told himself to look at Seo Dan instead. Although she was maintaining her cool composure, he could tell she was burning with curiosity.

"Is this some sort of lovers' tiff?" she couldn't resist asking, masking her interest with a casual sip of her cocktail. "Don't tell me Yoon Seri is using that man to make you jealous. That would be disappointing."