2. TONY HITS THE JACKPOT

TONY KOSTER CAUTIOUSLY cycled along Pinewood Road in his hermetically sealed spacesuit keeping an eye out for any signs of danger.

Suddenly, he spied something initially alarming to his right, slinking off through some garden bushes It was feline, orange and black-striped.

Phew, just a domestic tabby cat! I thought for a minute the Siberian tiger had caught up with me.

Tony took a sharp fork right, still on Pinewood Road, and was soon bearing down on 57 Pinewood Road.

Goodness, I'm shaking with anticipation. This is so exciting.

He paid particular attention to the bungalows on his right-hand side ...

Let's see now ... 65 ... 63 ...

Tony dismounted his bicycle and started to push it along the pavement.

Erm ... 61 ... 59 ...

Tony pushed the bicycle past a small fir tree in the front garden of 59 Pinewood Road ... and there it was—the fabled 57 Pinewood Road.

Goodness me, talk about humble. It's not even a detached bungalow. It's semi-detached, adjoined with 55 Pinewood Road. If it wasn't for the English Heritage Blue Plaque that stands out like a sore thumb in this surreal peaceful yet deadly summer's residential scene, I'd be certain I had fallen victim to the greatest prank in the history of humanity—a history that Cindy and I are probably the only humans with any hope of extending.

The bungalow was fronted by a small front garden waist-high brick wall. A five-foot high wooden fence bordered its garden off from 59 Pinewood Road's garden. A high six-foot high privet hedge divided its frontage from its neighbouring semi-detached bungalow 59 Pinewood Road.

He pushed the bicycle into the driveway and leaned it up against the wooden side fence.

Meow!

The orange and black-striped tabby cat came bounding into the driveway and stared up obediently at Tony.

"Are you biological or some sort of robotic pet?" asked Tony, having activated his spacesuit helmet's external communications for physical listening and speaking.

The cat cocked its head and gave Tony a crooked look.

"I guess you're probably biological and hoping I might be able to feed you."

Meow!

"Well, Tiger, if I can get into this house, I'll see if there's any cat food in the kitchen. You don't mind me calling you, Tiger, do you?"

Meow!

Tony turned from the tabby cat to the English Heritage Blue Plaque attached to the bungalow's brick frontage beside its front door entrance. He read the blue-painted iron circular plaque with its thin white bordered circumference and its white-painted lettering:

ENGLISH HERITAGE

AMY FOX-WALKER

3952 ~ 4126

Inventor of the Hexagonal Tesseract

and founder of the Equalisers

lived here

"Wow, Tiger!" exclaimed Tony, looking back at the tabby cat. "Amy Fox-Walker. She started it all, my furry orange friend. Her fortuitous and serendipitous creation of the Hexagonal Tesseract led to a quantum leap in technological power that enabled the foundation of the Equalisers. She went on to develop the original lunar Hexagonal Tesseract Honeycomb (the lunar HTH) on the Moon. And that's why I've come here to search for her research logbook. You see, Tiger, the logbook contains the whereabouts of the original lunar HTH."