Chapter One

Oliver's POV

It's the same every time...

"I don't want you."

"I can't want you."

"You are my mate; get away from me."

Here's a question. When will someone want me? Better question. Will someone ever want me? I never stop thinking about them. Every day that I lay in my hospital bed, I find myself thinking about them more.

Even in my dreams—or rather, nightmares.

Five years ago was the first time I had gone through the soul-crushing pain of getting rejected.

---

I walk to school with a skip to my step and a little smile on my face. My short brown hair was blowing around due to the light breeze. The sky was a beautiful mix of light blue and the beautiful full yellow sun. There was not a cloud in sight. I had to cover my eyes when looking at the blinding light.

Today was my eighteenth birthday, so I dressed up nicely in blue jeans and my favorite Wally-themed sweater. I was so excited to invite my friends over. My parents were usually very protective since I am a human in a world with fairies, werewolves, tigers, and so on. There aren't many humans in my world, and we are considered the weakest form.

When I got to school, I was greeted with small waves and happy birthday wishes. I made sure to thank all of my friends.

"Happy birthday! You know you are my best friend in the whole world, right?"Jennifer was always my loudest best friend. She was the only one who didn't seem to care how weird I was. I think that's why we are such good friends. We planned to go to the same college, work at the same place, and at least live in the same town.

She handed me a huge rainbow lollipop. I smile wide at her and give her a hug. I licked it and tasted the sweetness. "You are the best, Jenn! I love you!"

"Hey, where's Zach?" Zach is also my best friend, but he's different. He has always been part of our little trio. I could never put my finger on it, but he was always on the highest podium in my head. Even in the crowd of hundreds of students, I could point him out in a second. We've joked in the past that we were mates.

I pull out my phone to text him, but Jennifer puts her hand over my screen.

Jennifer rolled her eyes but covered it up by quickly speaking. "I think he's working out in the gym. I wouldn't bother him. You know how he and his wolf are about his looks." She let out a small laugh, so I smiled at her.

"Yeah, you're right. I will text him later." I put my phone back in my back pocket. "Plus, he is coming to the party later, so it's cool." We walk to our homeroom and sit for a while.

The day was slow; I just kept thinking about tonight. Technically, I will be eighteen at 6:47 tonight, but I still consider myself an adult.

I can't believe I have to go to school on my birthday. I sigh and get through half of the day until lunch. I walk to lunch and sit down. Everyone wished me a happy birthday. "Thanks, everyone!" I eat the lunch and grimace at the horrible taste. "Couldn't they have at least served pizza on my birthday?" Everyone giggles, and we talk about random stuff.

The day is almost over, except for one thing. My favorite thing in the world. Cheerleading. I walk into the locker room and turn on the lights. Confetti pops all around me. I glance all around the room; the whole team has gathered. "Happy Birthday!" I look around at all of them before looking down at the cake with eighteen candles in it. I feel myself tearing up a bit. "Thank you all so much!" I make a quick wish and blow out all of my candles.