Chapter 3

Beruthiel and Aragorn, along with the three hobbits, arrived at Rivendell a few days later. Aragorn sighed in relief as they came into the view of the narrow stone bridge arching across the River Bruinen. He turned back to Beruthiel, who led Bill the pony. She raised an eyebrow in question, and he nodded exhaustedly.

Beruthiel turned to Merry and Pippin. "We're there," she said. "This is Rivendell."

"Come on," said Aragorn. Beruthiel and the hobbits followed him as he carefully walked over the bridge. Beruthiel squinted. At the other end, an elleth sat beside the statue of an elven warrior holding a spear. Her head came up as she heard footsteps, and she turned around. A smile lit up her face.

"Estel!" she called, springing to her feet. Beruthiel saw that she was barefoot. Aragorn gave the elleth a tired smile. "Adar sent me to watch for you," she said as they neared. "He wanted me to say that the Ringbearer is awake. I wanted to ride out and search for you, but  Adar explicitly forbade it. And you know how he can be," she said with a shudder. Aragorn smiled.

"Who's that?" Pippin whispered to Merry.

"I think that's his wife," the other hobbit whispered back. Sam cuffed him around the head.

"But is she?" Pippin pressed. Beruthiel sighed audibly.

"That is Lady Arwen," she said, raising her voices in finality. "Aragorn's adoptive sister."

"So... not his wife?" Merry said, sounding disappointed.

"Yes," Beruthiel said, sighing again. "He has been single for the last eighty-seven years, as far as I know."

"But you're going to change that?" Pippin wiggled his eyebrows. Beruthiel glanced at Aragorn. Help me, she mouthed. He raised an eyebrow.

"Nope, I'm letting you deal with this on your own," he replied, a smile on his lips. Beruthiel turned back to the hobbits, exasperated.

"Aragorn and I are NOT together, and are NOT going to be!" she exclaimed. "We - are - friends!"

"That's what they all say," Sam said with a wicked smile. Beruthiel glowered at them, then spun on her heel and joined Aragorn and Arwen.

"So," Arwen said. "Are you together?" Beruthiel considered glaring at her, then came to the conclusion that she shouldn't glare at an elf, particularly one of such a renowned family. Aragorn chuckled at her strained expression.

"How are things here, my lady?" Beruthiel asked Arwen. "And why did Lord Elrond ask me to find Aragorn? Valar only know how to find him when he's away." Aragorn snorted.

"Kings do not snort, Estel," Arwen gently chided him.

"Ladies do not chide," Aragorn mimicked her tone. "And besides, I'm not a king."

"Yet," Beruthiel finished. He sighed.

"Ruth, you know I don't want to be king..."

"You will have to be, Estel." Arwen sighed. "Adar fears a war is coming... he was visited by Ossë in a dream."

"Ossë?!" Aragorn exclaimed. "The Stormfather?!"

"That one," Arwen said. "He told Adar, 'Unite them'." Aragorn shook his head.

"Is that why Aragorn's been called here, my lady?" Beruthiel inquired. Arwen nodded. Beruthiel looked back at the hobbits, who were following them, whispering among themselves. Beruthiel nodded. "Then I'll head back to Fornost tomorrow. Or should I take the hobbits back to the Shire first?" Arwen looked surprised.

"Adar wants you here, too! And never mind about the hobbits..." Aragorn shook his head, chuckling.

"Has Adar's foresight shown him anything about the havoc they'll wreak in Rivendell?" he teased. "Valar, those two are trouble."