XIII

Chapter Thirteen- Finding the Hidden

''Okay,'' Alec began as they stepped inside the police building. ''I am guessing one of you is the distraction?'' he asked, looking first at the two girls and then at the  'mundanes' that were walking by them.

Olivia snorted. ''Being a distraction isn't really my department.''

''And I,'' Izzy said and paused before smiling brightly, '' ...have decided to grow up, remember? No more distracting for me.'' she stated and turned her head towards the woman sitting at the front desk. ''Besides, I don't think we're her type.''

The brunette followed her gaze, and upon noticing the female police officer, nodded her head. ''Definitely not.''

Alec looked at the woman and gulped as he realized that he was the one who was going to have to play the role of 'the distractor'. ''Oh crap,'' he muttered and started to fidget with his jacket. ''Don't worry, it's good practice,'' Izzy told him.

''Huh?'' he hummed and absentmindedly tugged at the sleeves of his jacket. 

''You know,'' Izzy gave him a knowing smirk, ''For asking out Magnus.''

Alec froze and Olivia bit her lip to stop herself from laughing at his half flabbergasted and half annoyed expression. Izzy saw it too and chuckled before moving closer to him and starting to unbutton his shirt.  ''W-what are you doing?'' he asked and tried to slap her hands away.

''Unbuttoning your shirt. What's it look like I'm doing?'' she replied and continued with her work. ''Izzy, this is not really my department.'' the older boy said, a hint of unconformatablenss visible in his tone and on his face.

Izzy sighed and watched as Alec again started to button up his shirt. ''Come on, Alec, you do this stuff all the time.''

The older brunette again snorted. She knew that Izzy was trying to encourage Alec, but her words weren't describing his personality at all, if anything, they seemed to be describing Jace's personality.

''You do,'' the taller boy retorted, ''I don't.''

'' It's easy,'' Izzy encouraged him, and he, after staring at his sister for a few seconds, sighed in defeat and started walking towards the woman. ''Hey,'' he leaned on the desk and stretched his lips in what he thought was a charming smile. The female police officer, however, was not charmed by his smile and simply looked at him with a neutral expression. ''Can I help you?''

''Yeah, um, um...'' Alec stammered, racking his brain for a suitable reply and coming up with none. In the end, he hastily blurted out, ''You come here often?''

Olivia widened her eyes and started to, now, more than ever, have an enormous amount of difficulty in controlling her laughter. Rolling her lips in her mouth, she turned her head towards Izzy and realized that the younger girl was having the same problem.