Accords / Swing

Shiar found the rogue on the far end of the deck, half cloaked in shadows and watching the shore. The man's hood was up, allowing the dark to mask his facial features. Shiar paused for a moment upon seeing the angry set to the Knight's shoulders, knowing that protocol had no place between them. He was a friend to the Knight's liege, and no matter how fresh that bond was, Shiar would have to be an idiot not to know it went beyond titles and oaths.

This man owed him no allegiance, no deference. They were from two very different worlds, beyond country lines and crossing from a hierarchy of blood lines and alliances into one that Shiar could not even begin to understand. The Assassins of Sellexu were a government controlled arm of secrecy that he had made use of in his time as War Commander, and though he knew they were admirable fighters, he had never approved of people who would fight in the shadows. But he had seen Sir Keana fight in an open battle against a foe that gave Shiar pause. The rogue he was dangerous and only civil with them because of the fragile connection between them all and Nerini.

After long contemplation of the unmoving figure, Shiar forced himself to take the final couple steps to step up beside Keana. Shiar turned to look out over the water, his own eyes searching out the dark details of the land. He didn't speak at first, just listening to the sea lap gently at the sides of the boat, feeling the cold winter breeze biting into the exposed skin of his face.

"You'll get better, you know. Completely." Keana broke the silence without moving. "The poison, it was magic. I know poisons, quite well, but I also know magic. It was a combination, it's almost completely gone now. You should not have lived through it."

Shiar frowned at the man's words, raising a brow. But he merely inclined his head as he murmured. "My sister is a healer. She had a large part to do with my survival, as did Lady Wyn. The addiction started ending the moment they killed the woman."

Keana nodded, his words coming out as a cloud from the cold. "Nerini didn't tell me much about all of it, but I had been curious at the news. Because it was magic, it was kept alive in you as long as she was breathing, I had never seen a spell like that. I don't recognize it, but I recognize that it is fading. You ever wonder why she went for you, instead of the King himself?"

"No." Shiar frowned, the question sinking into his mind slowly, something that he had not yet bothered to contemplate. "Nerini is alright. Lyana, my sister, she has formed a connection of sorts with her. She can feel that Nerini is alive wherever she is."

"That..." Keana paused and looked towards him finally, the light catching his eyes beneath his hood as he watched Shiar. "Thank you. It helps to know that. I let her walk out of my life once before, I don't intend on letting her off that easily again."

Shiar frowned at the man's words. "You have feelings for her? Lady Wyn says you taught her your trade."

Keana chuckled, glancing back out towards the water and shoreline once more. "Yes, she learned a little of my craft in the short time she was at my side. I can't decide if she used me, like the fool I am, or if it was an unintended consequence. I don't think she knows the power she holds over people. It doesn't even cross her mind, but it is part of her gift, her magic."

"So where does that leave you?" Shiar found himself relaxing beside the man, surprised at the level of camaraderie he felt with the man.

"Where did she leave you, Lord Shiar?" The rogue turned to him again, his voice a lilting tone of self-depreciation.

Shiar frowned, though it was an inward displeasure more than offence at the boldness of the question. "I don't know. She left thinking I was falling head over heels with another woman. But, like you said, I don't even know if she even thinks about her heart."