10; Red Mist in the Sky

A/N Just a reminder, this Doom Slayer's power is based on lore and the story of DOOM, not actual gameplay mechanics, just in case anyone was confused.

Also, I must apologize for the gap in this story's upload history. I recently completed IET for the Army, graduated AIT two weeks ago. I haven't had my phone long enough to write much since June. I'm sorry heh.

I am the Beast.

I am the Harbinger.

I am the Unchained Predator.

I am NOT going to be outshone by an ASTARTES WANNABE!

"Catch, Beast!" The Spartan yelled, tossing a Pinky through the air at the Doom Slayer.

I grunted, turning and raising the Great Communicator as the Pinky fell, screaming until it landed face-first on my spinning blade.

These Roman copycats are always showboats.

I pulled out my minigun, pulling the trigger and releasing a full salvo into the mob of Demons, eviscerating every single one in my path.

"My name's Samson." The Spartan said, throwing an Imp into my line of fire, "Pleasure doing battle with ya!"

There is an estimated seven-thousand-five-hundred, VEGA said, The BFG currently has the ammo capacity to take care of this with some strategy, but the campers are in the way.

Then tell them to get out of the way.

"Spartan Samson." VEGA spoke through the suit, "The Doom Slayer is going to employ very harsh tactics. We suggest you remove the Campers from the battle."

"What do you mean?" Samson said, swinging his fist down on a Pinky before drawing a two-handed longsword that he could easily operate with one hand, "I can't just tell Romans to-"

"They will die if not removed in the next five minutes." VEGA finished, before the Doom Slayer jumped over a pinky, switched to his double-barrel shotgun, and began to decimate.

Samson understood immediately. That battle was going to end very soon, in a way that would kill a lot of his men.

He began to run towards the Roman lines, screaming at the top of his lungs, "ROMANS! RETREAT! HEAR ME AND RETREAT!"

Most of them began to run, but Samson thought that was probably because watching a man as big as he barrel towards you and scream is terrifying enough.

Samson heard the thumping of hooves behind him, and slowed to allow Reyna to catch up to him, "What are you doing, Spartan?" She asked urgently.

Samson yelled for a retreat once more before turning to Reyna, "The Doom Slayer that the Greeks were bringing has arrived!"

"And?! Shouldn't we be fighting alongside it?!"

"His suit told me we have five- well less then- anyway- we don't have long to retreat before it decimates the battlefield!" Samson began to yell for a retreat again before saying, "Everything will die! Everything!"

Reyna seemed to understand enough, immediately turning her horse around and riding the other way, screaming for a retreat along the lines Samson missed, thinking to herself, Never in my life did I ever think there could be something to force Samson to retreat.

Suddenly, the entire hillside began to glow a harsh green, as a ball of energy flew over the Demons, incinerating hundreds, maybe even a thousand of them, as it flew.

That seemed to be signal enough for the rest of the Romans, as they began to pull a 'tactical retreat', meaning a normal retreat but everyone is slightly more terrified.

Cute Roman humor.

Samson stood still, watching, before spotting his target; Clancy, with Mason draped over his shoulders, sprinting as he's never sprint before.

He caught up to them quickly, taking Mason from Clancy, "I know you have speed left in you, Clancy!"

The roar of the Demons behind us grew dimmer as we ran towards Camp Jupiter, both from the distance that we were putting in, and the sheer amount of them that were dying.

Samson could not stop running. Everything inside him told him to keep pushing.

A loud buzz, and echoing roar.

And silence.

Samson stopped, turning to look at the battlefield.

Nothing.

Except him.

Blood covered the field. Bones and flesh were scattered everywhere. The sky was almost dimmed with the red mist that hovered, unmoving.

And in the center, stood only him.

The Doom Slayer.

His green armor was tainted red. He glowed with a radiation Samson could only describe as fear itself. Samson couldn't look any longer; he had to turn away, and he decided to continue towards the infirmary, as he still had Mason on his back.

Reyna pulled up beside him on her horse, "Are you okay, Samson?"

"Yes, but the Greeks spoke true," Samson broke into a jog, "He is terrifying in battle."

___________________________________

"We have one-hundred twenty-five casualties. Luckily only three deaths. They'll be missed. Most are pretty major injuries but the medical team believes they will all make full recoveries."

Reyna nodded, continuing to survey the Slayer as he moved throughout the battlefield, locating and smashing these small husks of plant that seem to be blooming, "Thank you, Tyla. You are dismissed. Get some rest."

"Yes, Preator." The Centurion Tyla said, before limping lightly away.

"And get that limp checked out, Tyla."

"Yes, Preator. Just waiting for the infirmary to open up to minor injuries."

Reyna hung her head, "Damn..."

"Reyna!" A voice called, and Reyna turned to see Annabeth walking towards her.

"Annabeth! I thought the Slayer was riding with you!" Reyna called, walking towards Annabeth, "But it is a good thing he went ahead. He saved many lives."

Annabeth laughed, "That's a good thing. I wish we could have been here to help, but traffic sucks here."

"Oh excuses, excuses." Reyna laughed too, "Where's the rest of the seven?"

"Helping tend to the more minor injuries. You're not hurt are you?" Annabeth asked, finally getting close enough to hug Reyna.

"No, I'm fine." Reyna held the hug a moment longer before breaking it, "What's he doing out there?" She pointed to the Slayer.

"He's killing these weird things called Gore Nests. According to his A.I. the Gore Nests are one of the main ways the Demons enter our world."

"So these are definitely not monsters? They are real Demons?" Reyna asked, confused. So many religions keep popping up left and right, it's hard to keep track of who belong to what, "And, A.I.?"

"They are not from the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Norse," Annabeth sighed, "They are definitely new to us. And yes, his suit has an artificial intelligence imbedded into it. That's his main form of communication, he prefers not to speak."

Reyna nodded. She hoped to one day understand the man in the Green Armor, "At least he's on our side. He's insanely powerful."

"Yeah. It's kinda scary." Annabeth laughed again, "Come on, it's time for dinner."

"Oh, yes. We must mourn the deaths of three of our own."