Chapter FIFTY SIX

Lacey Paxton

Soft rock music plays through the patio speakers and the late afternoon air is summery and warm, the late afternoon sun low in the orange sky.. You are fussing with a particularly tricky knot on top of a bag of ice when Hunter strides up behind you.. "Need a hand with that, Baby-girl?"

You groan in relief.. "Ugghh.. Yes, please.."

He takes a switch knife from his pocket, cutting open the bag before pouring it into the cooler to cover the amber filled bottles of Ale.. "You and Lori went all out on this party for Ace.. Ya must really like the guy, huh?"

He nudges you playfully with his elbow and you giggle.. "It's not everyday my boyfriend is awarded a medal, I had to do something special.. He deserves to be celebrated.."

"That's true.." He smiles proudly, nodding as he looks around the party guests, the Specter men are all decked in their handsome dress blues, just as they had for your graduation, a showing of respect.. Kirby, and her sister Lucky are busy helping Lori and Ellerie to bring plate after plate to be set on the table..

You look over to where Ace and Colt laugh, shoving each other like silly schoolboys by the barbecue, an amused Jake Harrison watching on and ensuring the steaks don't get burned.. "Hey, Huntie .. Can I ask you something?"

Hunter reaches down to grab a beer, offering you one.. You shake your head.. Lacey No thank you.. He twists the top off his ale as it emits a fizzy hiss.. "Ask away Baby-girl.."

You point to the little pink puzzle on the table.. "Can you finish that for me?"

Axe picks up the puzzle, twisting it twice before he stops, giving you a knowing look.. "I can.. But if I help you cheat.. Will you tell me the truth?"

Your cheeks heat.. "It's not cheating, it's assisting.. And what do you mean 'tell you the truth'?.."

Hunter twists the puzzle again.. "Why'd you turn down the beer just now?" He smiles, as though his offering you a beer had been some kind of test you had failed.. Or passed.. You aren't sure.. Your mouth snaps shut and your eyes glance around to make sure nobody is within earshot..

"Hunter! Why would you ask me that?!" You giggle nervously..

"Hm.. It's strange because.. Kirby noticed you didn't have anything to drink at lunch either.." He untwists the puzzle in reverse twice, messing it up and your hands fly out to stop him..

"No no, please you have to finish it.."

He smiles a cheeky, knowing smirk.. "Am I gunna be an uncle, Lacey?" He grins wider as you bite your lip nervously..

He knows.. He already knows.. Of course he does!

You sigh in defeat.. "It's-- it's early so I haven't told anybody about it yet, but.. Yes, you're going to be an uncle, Huntie.. I'm, um.. Pregnant.."

You can't keep the smile from your face as your brother beams excitedly, a gleam in his smokey stare as he leans down to bundle you into his arms.. "Fuck yeah! Does Greyson know?"

You nod against his chest, letting him crush you a little too tightly because you love him too much to resist his enthusiasm.. "Yeah.. If I told you his reaction had been excited that would only be the understatement of the century.."

Hunter laughs, taking you by the shoulders and drawing back to grin down at you.. "He really is one lucky fucker.." Hunter holds out the cube for you, one twist away from complete and you grin triumphantly..