☼Five☼

Sarrin tended to the food that sat above the fire pit in Iroh's kitchen. The smoke billowed out of the windows; she thought they couldn't open the first time she saw them, but he proved her wrong. They swung open on hinges and rested against the side of the building when they were open. 

"Is lunch almost ready?" Iroh asked, popping his head into the kitchen. His hair dripped water onto the floor. She was surprised to find him shirtless, especially since it was midday.

"Uh, yeah," she replied, blinking. "Why?"

"I have to get back to the ship soon, but I am very hungry."

"It's a good thing I'm making my famous dumplings."

Iroh looked intrigued. His eyebrows rose toward his sopping hairline. He stepped fully into the kitchen and tried to peer over Sarrin's shoulders at the food. However, she kept blocking his attempts by placing her body directly in front of him. Giggles rose in her throat at the sight of the very stoic Iroh darting around, trying to get a glimpse of her food. With every block, he would grow more frustrated until his fingers wrapped around her wrists. The sudden shock of it halted Sarrin's whole body; the breath in her lungs fizzled out, her biceps and triceps locked up, and her heart froze in its rhythm.

"What are you doing?" she whispered.

Little droplets from his hair fell across her shoulders, he was that close. The warm air from his breath blew across her face. Small goosebumps pimpled her skin. She could now see that his eyes had little gold flecks in them. The flecks were like minuscule sunrises, bursting with energy and light. The bright colors streaming in from the open window reflected against his amber eyes. 

"Can I see what you are making?" he asked softly.

"I already told you that I'm making dumplings."

"I wanted to see it."

However, they didn't let go of each other. His fingers were still wrapped around her wrists, spreading little fires throughout her whole body. There was nothing that she wanted more than to have him touch her more often. This feeling that was slowly spreading through her bloodstream was a good sort of strange.

In a sudden rush, Iroh retreated a few steps away from her. His eyes found everything else besides her. They bounced all over, but they never once landed back on her. Adam's Apple bobbing, he said, "Tell me when it's done. I am going to finish getting ready."

And just like that, he disappeared out of the kitchen. For the first time since she had been here, his shoulders seemed to be hunched over, casting shadows across his bare feet. Something seemed to be weighing on him physically and mentally. For some odd reason, Sarrin wanted to know what was troubling him.

She didn't know if her muscles would allow her to move properly. Something about the way he looked at her paralyzed everything in her body, even her brain. Her thoughts were sluggish, and so were her limbs. Each step proved to be challenging. She lurched forward toward the dumplings and pulled them off of the fire. Smoke rose from them, and some were singed with black streaks.

Sarrin tried to scoop the ones that weren't burnt into Iroh's dish. He recently had been praising her for her cooking, and she didn't want to disappoint him. She doubted he would tell her that tonight's dinner wasn't pleasant. He was very gracious and polite. He probably would still eat the burnt food and put on a smile for her.

She didn't understand why he was so nice to her. He bought her whatever food she wanted and would check on her in the early morning and late at night. He didn't force her to get a job; he once told her that she could take as much time as she needed. He continued, saying that there weren't many job openings right now because of all the gangs that were coming to fruition. He said that more and more people were staying in. She completely understood the fear of gangs.