☼Eight☼

When Sarrin entered the apartment, she was surprised to see Iroh in there. He sat on the couch with his head resting against the wall. His eyes were closed, and his chest rose and fell softly. He still wore his uniform. 

"Iroh?" Sarrin asked softly. 

He jerked awake with a sudden snort. His eyes went wide when he saw her standing in the doorway to their apartment. "Sarrin!" Iroh said, his voice groggy. "What are you doing home so early?"

"I've been gone for a few hours," she said, stepping closer to him. "Have you been here the whole time?"

He shook his head. Pushing off the couch, he stood up but stumbled slightly. She rushed to his side and steadied him. It seemed like he was still half asleep. "No," he replied, shaking his head. "I just got home an hour ago."

"Why are you this exhausted?" she asked, helping him sit back down on the couch. 

"Long nights and early days." She nodded and sat down next to him, leaving a few inches between them. He looked at her and asked, "How did job hunting go?"

A smile appeared on Sarrin's face. She sighed happily and said, "Great."

"So, you found a job?"

"I got offered for two different jobs," she said with a nod. "I didn't trust the first guys who offered me the job because something about them gave me the creeps."

Iroh frowned. "What were their names?" Sarrin told him their names and he shrugged. "They aren't on the list of most wanted criminals. Why'd they give you the creeps?"

"I don't know," Sarrin admitted. "I just didn't get a good vibe from them. I also used you as an excuse as to why I couldn't accept the job yet."

"How?"

"Well, I said that you were my boyfriend and that you are a general for the United Forces. They seemed to back off after they heard that."

She didn't know if it was a trick of the light or not, but the tips of his ears turned a slight pink. He cleared his throat. "Really?"

"I couldn't think of anything else," Sarrin said, shrugging. Her heart picked up speed after she said that. "I hope you don't mind."

He shook his head quickly. "Of course, I don't mind." Iroh swallowed and allowed the awkward silence to pervade around the two of them. "So, where'd you get a job at?"

"The restaurant next to here," Sarrin said, pointing down to the left. He nodded again. "He was looking for me and immediately gave me the job. I start tomorrow."

"That's exciting!"

Sarrin laughed and nodded enthusiastically. She dropped her head onto his shoulder after her laughter subsided. Her head fit perfectly in the crook of his neck. His head rested against hers, and his breath billowed out across her forehead and cheeks, and nose. 

"Are you happy?" he whispered.

"More than you know."

His arm suddenly secured around her waist, pulling her against his side. Her right shoulder was buried into his ribs. She could feel his heart race as he said, "I'm very happy, too."

"That's good."

Sarrin could have stayed like that forever. There was something about him that made her feel safe and at home. That was strange considering she had only known him for a few months. However, people can change a lot in a few months.

His head lifted off hers, and he lifted her chin so she could look at him. There was something in his amber eyes that picked up Sarrin's heart rate. Was he going to kiss her? Her body yearned for him to do it, but her mind had the opposite desire. She wondered if it had been long enough since her breakup with Jizak. Was she ready for this? She wasn't sure.