Chapter Fifty-nine

I sat inside the diner, waiting for her to arrive

Even though I was in a panic, I kept my hands clasped and rested them on the table to give the impression that I was calm and serious. My anxiousness was evident as both of my feet jumped up and down beneath the table.

I've been waiting for about ten minutes, and it's been about two hours since I contacted her earlier to let her know that I had something important to tell her. I just wanted to tell her now because if I waited any longer, it could be too late.

When I turned my head to look out the window next to me, I noticed Lauren getting out of a black jeep. She nodded goodbye before turning around and running towards the diner's entrance.

I took a deep breath in and then let it all out, hoping to release some of the stress I was holding inside. I waited for a few seconds before I could sense a presence beside me. I watch as Lauren slides down on the red couch in front of me. There was a smile plastered on her face as she quickly grabbed the menu that was on the table's edge.

While flipping the menu, she fixed her attention on it. I didn't ask her why she was looking at the menu as it was her first time eating here because it appeared as if she intended to order something new for her palate.

"Have you placed an order yet? She read the descriptions of each food while continuing to stare at the page of burgers. Before turning to the following page, she pursed her lips, nodding to herself.

I shake my head as if she would see me, "No, I was waiting for you."

Lauren instantly gave our usual server, who approached us, her order. The server turned to face me as I gave her my order after Lauren completed giving it to her.

"Alright, I'll be back with you when your orders are ready," She smiled before she left us by ourselves.

I watched Lauren search through her brown sling purse when I turned to look at her. I coughed nervously, unsure of how to begin to tell her what I wanted to.

"So, what was it you needed to tell me?" Lauren asks as she still had her attention inside her bag, seeming to look for something.

"Uh-" I started, "You needed to tell me something, too, right?" I dodged her question, feeling not ready to begin with mine.

She sighed and muttered something to herself before turning her whole focus to me and nodding in response to my question.

"Yeah," She followed, "But out of respect, you go ahead first since you're the one who initiated."

I nodded, taking a deep breath again before I started to talk.

"About the case—"

Her face immediately scowls at the sudden mention of the case, "Don't tell me you're curious about it—"

I instantly shake my head and simply dismiss her quick accusation when she interrupted me. It didn't seem appropriate to bring up the case that my dad was working on and the brown file that I had recently read, which I also brought with me.

I sighed, tapping my bag beside me. I guess I'm retreating, again.

"I just wanted to know why you wanted me to stay away from any information about it," I said, ignoring her searing gaze, "I-I mean, it's not like I have anything to do with it or anything."

I chuckled nervously, scratching the back of my neck as I look at her.

"It's just that it's highly unlikely I'll get involved with the mess of it," I told her, even though I was partially involved with the progress of the case being solved since my dad was the head investigator.

She raised an eyebrow at me, "So, this is what you needed to tell me?" she asks as I took the glass of service water from the table and sipped it carefully while nodding my head instead to avoid stuttering because of my lies.

"You could've just told me about it over the phone," Lauren says as she took the glass of water that was on her left side.

I blinked, "Well, I just needed an excuse to see you."

Lauren almost spitted the water that was on her mouth as I notice her cheeks turn pinkish-red at what I just said. I bite the insides of my cheeks to stifle a laugh.

Lauren clears her throat and nods her head at me, "Well, I just know that once the news reporters find out about the case, they'll immediately look for people who are close to me and my family, and ask them questions for the sake of their jobs."

I continued to silently nod, setting the glass of water down on the table.

"So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" As soon as I saw her eyes widen in response to my abrupt question, I instantly changed the subject, handing the floor to her.

Lauren placed both her hands on the table, seeing her as she fidgets with it, "Well," she says as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "I just wanted to get some things straight between us."

Our server, who was placing our orders in front of us, suddenly cut her off as she was ready to continue. She arranged them carefully on the table as we watched her and says, "If you guys need anything else, just call me."

I nodded my head before I started to dig in on my food.

"What was it again?" I asked Lauren again as she continues.

I took the burger on my plate and took a big bite of it, chewing and savoring the taste as I listen to her speak, "Are we like... in a relationship already?"

Her unexpected question nearly caused me to choke on the burger in my mouth. As she observed me coughing, Lauren appeared to be in distress. She instantly offered me a glass of water as I washed down the burger that seemed like it was lodged in my throat.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

I shake my head after a few more coughs, "It's alright, no need to apologize."

Lauren was concentrating on her food while averting her eyes from mine. After that, I merely watched her eat before I said, "Well, I already confessed to you. So, I'm not really sure whether you actually want to be with me."

She did confess her love for me, too, but I couldn't simply conclude her feelings on her behalf. As much as I wanted us to be together, I also needed to know, and I need it to come from her.

She spares me a glance, "Do you want us to be together?"

Lauren continued to look at me briefly while pondering to herself, and then I saw a grin come across her face as I asked her that question. She slowly nods her head as she focuses on her food, again, sensing how she's somewhat failing from hiding her smile from me.

"Okay," I said as I looked down at my food, smiling.

"Okay," she says, too.

After that, we ate and finished our meals quietly since we felt shy talking more about the sudden subject she brought up. At least, there's one less thing to worry about.

***