Chapter Fifty

Over the course of the weekend, I avoided Clarissa

Over the course of the weekend, I avoided Clarissa. When Zania heard about the argument between her mother and me, she tried to talk to me and persuade me to speak with Clarissa and give her the benefit of the doubt regarding both of our concerns.

Although I was aware that Zania was somewhat upset about it, I didn't feel like discussing about the situation further. I didn't pay either of them any attention throughout breakfast. And instead of sitting by the kitchen countertop with them, I grabbed a bowl of cereal and brought it up with me inside my bedroom as I prepare for school.

"Can we just please talk about—"

As I left my room to use the restroom, I caught sight of Clarissa following close behind me out of the corner of my eye.

I completely disregarded them as they both called my name to get my attention as I went down the stairs after receiving a message from Aaren. As soon as I stepped out, I grinned at him and moved toward the car as I watch him lower his head from the inside, holding up his hand to greet me.

The moment I unlocked the front seat door, I saw his brother slouching in the passenger seat, wearing headphones with his eyes closed.

"Good morning," he says with a cheery tone, smiling at me as I hopped inside, buckling my seat. "I hope it's alright if we drop him off first."

I nodded my head, "It's completely fine by me."

Aaren proceeds to drive and I finally allow my thoughts to lie at peace. The birds were chirping outside, flying high in the blue-pale sky as they savored the brisk winter air. Christmas is getting closer, but even if it doesn't snow in Carlsbad, we still get to enjoy the crisp air that winter brings.

After dropping his brother, Jonathan, at his school, we immediately made our way to our school. My thoughts go back to Friday evening and the specific moment when Aaren held my hand. In contrast to before or when he would just casually hold my hand for comfort, there was something different about the way he held it that night.

Aaren smiles and silently grooves to the music playing on the car radio as his eyes are set on the road in front of us. I sneak a look at him as I think about that night, squeezing my hand that seemed to long for more of it.

I find myself smiling as I continue to look at him, and there is something inside of me that I can't quite put into the best words—where my heart feels like it wants to burst, yet at the same time, it feels so calm.

I was immediately swamped by what happened last week when we arrived at school, causing me to forcefully set the thoughts of Friday night at the back of my head, for now. I still have to present my informal letter and have no choice but to accept the deduction grade. When I think about it, I start to feel my anxiousness becoming agitated and wanting to take control once more.

"Lauren, listen," Aaren says as he pulled me out of my reverie. He was still there, walking beside me as I made my way to my locker before heading to the first period.

I gave him a questioning look as I entered the combination on the lock, "I really have to tell you something—"

I immediately turned to look at him as I swallowed my nervousness away, "Me too," I cut him off instantly as the idea popped into my head as he stares at me, falling entirely silent.

He nods his head in my direction as I look into his eyes, which are fixed on mine in a moment of mutual understanding, "Go ahead, you go first," he says, smiling.

"I thought about all the possibilities of where the next note could be," I told him as I watched him slouch his shoulders along with the expression on his face that has abruptly changed. While still focusing on me, he tilts his head to the side.

He continues to nod his head as I watch his smile slowly turned into a half-smile, "Alright, let's hear it," he says with his voice adenoidal.

"What if we write down all of the big letters from all of the notes that we have collected and maybe that could spell out the place where the next note might be located," I told him, feeling the excitement burning as the search for the notes come to a close. However, it started to look like he couldn't understand how I felt about it from the look on his face.

I stare at him, "Are you even listening? Do you get it?" I ask as he slowly nods his head with his eyes closed. His smile is completely wiped away from his face as he sighs.

When he opens his eyes and the bell starts ringing, "I better get to class," was what he only managed to say to me in a defeated tone, making my eyebrows tug together in confusion as I watch him walk away.

When he turned around, he adds, "I'll see you later."

I found it a bit odd when he said that. He'd always tell me he'll see me at lunch. Rarely, almost never, he'd never say later.

Now, I just start to wonder what he may have told me earlier if I had given him the chance to speak first.

***