Chapter 23

I came back into the present confused and anxious. Where was I? I brushed my hands over my body, trying to get rid of the feeling of hands but they crept over me as if unbothered by my movement.

GET OFF OF ME! I screamed mentally. I breathed in and out and remembered what Charlotte had taught me.

What do you hear?

I hear cars driving by distantly and the sound of sprinklers going off on a lawn nearby. One of them was spraying at a different rate- maybe it was broken, or something.

What do you feel?

Hands. Fingers. Pain. Stabbing and it hurts.

Okay, skipping that one. What do you see?

The reddish wood from the shed corner I was in. The dark grass beneath me. My tan-colored skin and my dark red dress. My two feet.

What do you smell?

I breathed in deeply. The night smelled good, but I couldn't place it. It was cold and sweet, but there was a sharpness to it as well. Familiar. As I tried to pinpoint it, I realized I wasn't panicking anymore.

I wiped my cheeks with the backs of my hands and found that my tears had already dried. I ran my fingers through my hair to find it fluffed up as if I had been asleep for hours. I wanted to check my phone, but I couldn't find the strength to move just yet. Was I supposed to get up and go now? To head back home? I stood up falteringly and pulled out my phone, thumb hovering over the "on" button. I wasn't sure what to do.

A part of me yelled furiously that I had to leave and stay away forever. Let the Anders return to their peaceful happy life that was interrupted by me.

Another part of me knew that no matter how bad or rude or evil I was, Charlotte would be broken-hearted if I never came home. I opened the door to the fence and stepped onto the damp grass with purpose, before deflating like a balloon. I forgot that in an effort to lose the others, I had lost any sense of where I was. My phone could get me directions, but I was exhausted and not sure I could make the walk back before it died. I checked the battery to find it on 3%. How was it that I had barely touched it all day and it was already dying?

I scrolled quickly through my contacts but stopped almost immediately. I knew who would help me, no questions asked.

I dialed his number and held my breath, worried I wouldn't be able to speak if he picked up.

"Hello?" I heard a voice answer. 

"Um, hi?" I said, more like a question than a cry for help. There's no time, Maya. Be quick.

"Can you pick me up?" I asked in a flurry of words I wasn't sure he could hear.

His voice grew deeper with purpose. He sounded like a superhero when he spoke again.

"Where are you? I'm coming." Asher said as I wandered to the street and gave him an address.

"Thank you," I whispered back.

"Of course." I heard the sound of a car starting behind his voice

"Can I ask what happened? Or would you prefer I don't?" I could tell he wasn't smiling because he was assessing the severity of the situation and it made him nervous.

"I'm fine, Asher. I just need a ride home." I said, defeated.

"A ride home...and a milkshake." He decided for us.

"A- what?"

"A milkshake. You sound like you're in shock. Let's get some food into your system and then you can tell me what happened..." His voice softened. "...if you want." My heart melted at these few words.

"Okay," I said.

"Okay." He replied, like that settled it. I guess it did.

"I should probably hang up to save phone battery?" I suggested, praying he'd have a reason that I shouldn't.

"See you soon. Stay under a light. Yell "fire" if you need someone." He instructed calmly. I could hear the engine roar louder as he sped up.

"Why can't I just yell 'help'?" I asked, wasting time. I felt like I couldn't help it. He was treating me like I was normal, and I wanted to be bad enough that I could pretend.

"People are more likely to run if there's a fire. It might damage their precious lawn." He teased.

"And I'm not precious?" I demanded, faking a gasp.

"I didn't say that sweetheart."

Goosebumps rose on my arms and I was about to answer something witty and charming until my phone screen went black and I knew it was dead. I looked around anxiously before running under a streetlight and grabbing onto the pole like it was a sailboat and I was adrift.