Chapter 40

"So... I'll finish the bibliography at home and you add that last part to slide three and then I think we're all done!" Asher announced. A weight lifted off my shoulders as I realized I'd have the rest of the week to take my finals without this hanging over my head. I leaned over and wrapped my arm around his side, surprising myself. He hugged me back tightly and gave me a colossal smile.

"What was that for?" he asked, eyes wide and smile remaining even as I pulled away.

"Thank you for everything. Being my partner and coming over and talking to me and wanting to... be my friend." I suggested, feeling like an idiot. I meant every word, but I also meant something stronger. The term "friend" seemed so disproportionate to my feelings for him.

"I think we work well together, Anders." Asher declared with conviction, putting his laptop and papers back in his backpack. He looked up at me once more with a grin on his face. His eyes were charcoal but not in an angry way. More... smoldering. Did I really just think that?

"We make a really good team," he added.

I bit my lip as a feeling that I had never experienced seemed to ignite inside of me. Strands of hair had fallen in front of his eyes and one particularly long piece traced the edge of his face all the way down to his sharp jaw. His dark eyes had fallen on my lips. My heart began to beat faster as I realized that he was feeling it too.

He reached out his hand and closed the distance between ours, wrapping his long fingers around mine and squeezing. I didn't gasp at the touch, I relished it. He let go suddenly and leaned forward slowly, dark eyes watching mine the entire way. His arm muscles bulged as he leaned forward and rested his weight on them so that he was just slightly above me.

My lips parted gently, involuntarily, and he smiled at that.

"Can I kiss you?" he asked in a husky whisper as I slid my legs between his and rested my body on the floor like sleeping beauty. He leaned closer before I answered. A little noise like a whimper came out of my throat, but I couldn't answer. I wasn't afraid, just surprised.

He let out a little chuckle and leaned down, brushing his lips softly against my cheek, sending a flush of warmth through me. He caught my gaze again and smiled, then leaned down to place a soft kiss against my neck.

I felt locked between his arms, but not in a dangerous way... in a protected way. I could almost hear the melodic thudding of his heart as he leaned ever closer and pressed a kiss to my collar bone. Another little noise escaped my throat.

He came back up to my face and grinned tauntingly but playfully. I could see the sharp canines in his smile and then he winked at me.

"I won't kiss you unless you ask me to, Maya." He stated calmly. It was interesting to me that he could ask for my consent but so clearly still be in control.

"Yes," I breathed out, wanting more. His eyebrows raised as if he couldn't believe his luck and then he dove towards me, pausing just before he reached my mouth.

"Ask me." He repeated.

"Please?" I pleaded, sucking in jagged breaths. My body jerked slightly closer to his as he wrapped one hand behind my head and knotted his fingers in my hair.

"Please what?" He breathed, lips only centimeters from mine. His breath was cool and smelled alarmingly delicious. Like chocolate, I realized.

"Kiss me, Asher?" I implored, knowing without a doubt that it was what I wanted. I ignored the alarms that were ringing in my arms, warning me that he just wanted to hurt me or use me. I ignored my uncle's voice as it told me nobody would ever love me. I ignored everything except my feelings.

He lowered his lips to mine and we kissed.

It happened so naturally that it felt like he had always been a part of me, and I was only just realizing it now. I pushed up against his body with fervor, loving when I could feel his smile against my eager lips.

I hadn't heard the garage door open when Asher had taken my hand. I didn't know the door slammed as he pressed kisses against my neck and shoulder. I couldn't have noticed the footsteps trailing up the stairs or pausing outside my bedroom as his lips crashed into mine. When I heard my bedroom doorknob turn and the door slam into the wall, it was too late.

Damon stepped inside, looking scarier than I had ever seen him. His sharp blue eyes zeroed in on the boy angled over my body and I could see it was taking all his willpower not to rush over to me and rip him off.

"Get the hell out. Now." He growled.