Chapter 36

The feeling was short-lived. As soon as the music grew quiet and things started jumping out at us, I knew we should've picked a different movie. I reached into the popcorn bucket slowly, accidentally flipping it over onto Damon as the demon jumped out again. The boys all silently cracked up as Damon shot daggers at me with his eyes.

"Sorry!" I mouthed, as everyone in the theater screamed at another jump scare.

"I'll kill you," he mouthed back. Luckily there wasn't that much popcorn left. He brushed what was on his lap into the now-empty bucket and placed it on the floor in front of us.

"Trade seats with me." He whispered into my ear in a threatening voice. I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

"No way!" I whispered back, standing my ground.

"You did this!" he fumed, motioning to his now glistening jeans. It kind of looked like he peed his pants, but I wasn't going to mention that.

"I said sorry!" I hissed. He glared at me, but when Dominic glared at him, he controlled himself.

We finished watching the movie in peace, relatively, and got up as the credits began rolling. The second we were out of the theater, Damon picked me up and swung me over his shoulder so that my face was against his back and his arm was wrapped around my waist.

I squealed in protest and tried to break free, but he just held me while people of all ages stared in wide-eyed amusement or displeasure. I was sure my face was red and looked at the ground to keep them from recognizing me.

"Damon, let me go!" I shrieked, pounding on his back.

"Say sorry." He replied cheerfully, making the other boys chuckle. They walked behind us, forming a sort of shield from other people, but I knew people were still watching. There were probably people from our school here! What if Asher was here and saw everything??

"God, I'm sorry!" I said, infuriated.

"My name's Damon, not God, but I could see how you'd get us confused. Sorry for what?" he asked nonchalantly as we crossed the street and entered the parking garage.

"Sorry for spilling the popcorn on you, now let me go!" I whined.

He lowered me from his shoulder as we reached the car and patted my head like I was a puppy.

"Good girl," he teased. The taste of something metallic flooded my mouth and I chomped at his hand as if I were going to bite it off. He got into the passenger seat, arrogant and confident as ever.

We got into the car and began the drive home. The boys began dissecting the movie and discussing their favorite scenes, while I sat quietly, disgruntled.

Caleb pushed his shoulder against mine and smiled, trying to catch my eye. I stared at the floor of the car, ignoring him.

"Maya, you can't be mad forever," Caleb said to me in a low voice. I was pretty sure Dominic heard judging by the way he kept sneaking glances at us in the rearview mirror.

"Watch me," I replied. I turned to face out the dark window and ignored the conversation until it went silent and all we could hear were the cars rushing past us. It was dark outside now, which gave us that disconcerting feeling like years had passed while we were in the theater.

Despite the horrific scenes I had just witnessed, I was feeling surprisingly relaxed. Dominic was right, it wasn't really that scary if you could remember that it wasn't real. Besides, my nightmares and fears were made of worst stuff than demons. I let out a yawn and allowed my head to fall against Brooks' shoulder as I drifted off to sleep.

I felt my body push and pull with the movement of the car, which seemed to lull me into the safe feeling that I was constantly longing for. I felt protected surrounded by these four boys. I made a quick prayer that nightmares wouldn't reach me, and then I let myself fall.