Chapter Four

🥀
Knox

I happily smiled and said my bye to everyone at home and I didn't mind when they all gave me strange looks. Within the short period of time I've known Anika I have been my happiest, I don't think anything can beat this. After our first lunch, I and Anika made it our thing to get lunch together every working day. Somehow I even got her to agree to calling me whenever she wanted to go grocery shopping using the excuse that if she didn't help me by doing so, I would one day starve to death. I remember how she had laughed and agreed to my suggestion.

Things were going great, even though we haven't gotten to the level of intimacy I wanted; I was satisfied with how close we were. Doing the times we spent together, I got to notice the littlest things about her,  like how much she loves chocolate,  how much she hated cabbage and kept picking them out of her food or how she taps her feet whenever she gets nervous or how shy she gets when I compliment her or buy her things. She is the sweetest thing I have ever met, so soft but feisty at the same time. I could go all day thinking of her and never get tired.

Immediately I reached the office, I went straight to the CSS department so I could get a glimpse of her before I can go do my pretend work. Peaking in, her desk  was empty like she didn't come to work. Quickly entering in,  I asked the chief who informed me that she had called in sick.

I was worried, i wanted to rush down to her house to see her but knowing Anika, she wouldn't appreciate that. I picked up my phone and called Lucy who was the detective I had hired to watch her before. I had stopped her from spying when I and Anika became close. However now she was the only one who could help me watch over Anika in case anything goes wrong, to  which I pray it doesn't.

By evening I had called Lucy countless times and kept getting the same reply which was that Anika haven't gone out of the house. I wasn't satisfied, I called her off and went myself to see Anika.

Parking my car across the road from her house, I hoped I was doing the right thing. Just then, I saw her come out to the balcony just as I was about getting out of the car. I gently closed the door and silently watched her from the car.

She looked so sad and worried, however she didn't look sick. She looked more like one who was lost and her curvy body slumped forward with a tired look. She reminded me of a documentary l had watched in highschool about depression. She looked depressed... Almost like she was lifeless. I was still debating with myself as to whether I should get out and knock or to stay put.

Still debating with myself I didn't realize that she had left the balcony, until I heard her front door open and saw her walk out. She didn't even notice my car packed just across her building. It was like she was here but not here at the same time.

I slowly drove behind her, and what amazed me was that she didn't even notice me still. She almost seemed like a zombie. I lost all sense of reasoning when I saw her stumble and fall and didn't stand up... I ran out of the car to her. The closer I got to her, I noticed she was actually crying.

Getting to her, I bent and hugged her from behind. I felt her stiffen and immediately spoke " Anika, what is wrong babe?" I asked softly. She slowly turned to meet my eyes then she sobbed harder and hid her face in my chest as she called out my name softly.. my heart went out to her.. then and there, I came to a shocking realization....I had fallen for this woman, I was in love with this woman and would do anything to make her happy once more.

Taking her in my arms, I carried her into the car and kept her in the passenger seat making sure she was comfortable. All the way through the drive, I kept glancing but sadly her sobs only turned into quiet tears . I decided to drive to the family condo we had two blocks away from our home. It was usually for visiting friends but right now I knew she wouldn't want to be overwhelmed by my family and the condo was the next best thing.