Chapter 27

Annabeth POV

Sneaking into the terrorist camp was easier than Reyna and I anticipated. 

Trucks usually drove on the north route towards the camp. Reyna and I were hidden behind some bushes, waiting for a truck to drive past us. 

"The spikes are placed, and the trap is loaded," Reyna whispered. 

Everything was in place, so now we wait. 

Just as we expected, a truck carrying food started driving down the route towards the camp. It was a big truck, but there were only two soldiers in the truck. 

No one was in the open-lid back of the truck with the food. Two soldiers were both situated in the front: one was driving while the other was sitting in the passenger seat. 

"Perfect luck as well," Reyna said. 

"Reyna, don't say that. The thing about luck is that it's finite," I said sharply. 

The truck was coming closer, and I held my breath as I watched. However, the spikes did their job, and the front-left tired popped. The truck made a large creek as it skids to a stop. The soldiers were cursing as they stepped out of the truck. 

"Let's do this," Reyna whispered as she disappeared into the undergrove. 

I went forward into the street. I was still wearing my mask and soldier uniform so that they wouldn't recognize me. 

"What's going on here?" I asked confidently. 

Both of the soldiers turned around immediately. They held defensive stances until they realized that I was a 'fellow' soldier.

"Wow, I cannot believe that another truck has gotten destroyed. The bosses are going to be furious with you both," I said firmly. 

I wasn't sure if this was a common thing, but I thought it was. I mean trucks got damaged all the time when they were transporting cargo for illegal purposes. 

"This wasn't our fault," a younger soldier expressed briskly. 

I could tell that the novel soldiers were put on transport duty. The insignificant soldiers would get charged with transporting food. The high-skilled soldiers would be used for more important missions. 

"Well, the bosses are going to punish you anyway," I said confidently. I wasn't even lying about that. 

"The truck is probably still drivable since only one tire popped," another soldier said.

"And, you boys don't think that the boss won't notice the damage even if the truck is still functional. How dumb are you both?" I exclaimed. 

"Oh my god, NO," the young soldier said as he took off his mask. 

He rubbed his hand over his face as panic entered his features. He couldn't be more than 20 years old. Of course, the youth were scared of their bosses at WiCKeD and BlodgeHarm. 

"You know what, I have a solution for you," I said. "You should just have me take in the truck. I'll be able to handle the heat given my senior status." 

"You're really willing to help us like that?" he asked. 

"You should agree before I change my mind. I know that Krios will not be happy." 

"No, please, thank you for your help," the soldier said. He immediately tossed the keys over, and I caught them easily. 

Reyna was right about our luck. These soldiers were young and inexperienced. They were more scared than anything. The fact that they weren't suspicious about this really validated my acting skills. Or, they were seriously scared of the possible consequences.