|12|: Flashbacks and kitty cats

Blood. So much blood. So much thick, goopy, sticky blood. There were people screaming, but they all sounded so far away.

I looked to my right and saw my best friend laying dead at my side. Her eyes were still open. Still showing that fear that we all felt.

I could smell smoke and I knew there was a fire. I struggled to sit up, but I could barely even lift my head. I felt blood trickling down the side of my face and I saw glass shards of what used to be a window, embedded in my arms. Blood. So much blood. I felt numb to the pain, but I knew my injuries were serious. There wasn't a person on board who wasn't horrifically injured. And those that hadn't been severely injured, were the ones that were already dead.

How did this happen? The day started out so normal. We were just supposed to be going to a track competition. How could we have ended up like this?

Why is this happening? What did we do to deserve this? Am I gonna die here? Will I ever see my father and sister again? Is this really as long as I get? 11 years and then it's just over? It's not fair. This shouldn't be happening. I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be here.

I wish this was all a bad dream. I want to wake up and be safe in my bed. I want to wake up. Please... let me wake up.

"Wake up!!!"

I shot up in bed, covered in sweat. My sister was looking at me in concern. "Haruhi, what are you doing in my room?" I asked groggily.

"I heard you crying so I came to check on you. You were having a nightmare." She explained gently.

I wiped the sleep from my eyes. "It wasn't a nightmare." I said with a blank expression on my face. Haruhi looked at me sadly. "The accident?" She asked cautiously, knowing my fragile mental state when it came to talking about that horrible day. I simply nodded. Haruhi wrapped me up in a hug and then laid down next to me.

"What are you doing?" I asked in confusion. "I'll stay with you until you fall back asleep." She said as she stroked my head. I smiled gratefully at her and snuggled close to her body. "I love you Hiromi." I heard her whisper as she kissed my forehead. I smiled contentedly. "I love you too Nee chan."

  ~the next morning~

                                 *~*~*~*~*

  When Hiromi awoke the next morning, she saw her sister sleeping next to her, hugging her close. She stretched in her sleep and then hugged Hiromi even tighter. Hiromi covered her mouth to muffle her amused laughter.

  "She fell asleep in your bed again?" A voice asked. Hiromi looked up and saw her father standing in the doorway to her bedroom. She nodded. "She came in to comfort me after I had a PTSD episode, and then she told me that she'd stay with me until I fell asleep. But in the end she fell asleep as well." Hiromi explained. Her father smiled slightly before giving Hiromi a concerned look. "You had a PTSD episode? That hasn't happened in a while. Is everything alright?"

  Hiromi nodded with a smile on her face as she brushed Haruhi's hair off her forehead. "Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I'm just a little nervous about today." Ranka nodded in understanding.

  At that moment, Haruhi's eyes fluttered open and she yawned tiredly before looking at Hiromi. "Oh... did I fall asleep in here again?" She asked sheepishly while blushing slightly in embarrassment. Hiromi chuckled. "You did. But it's fine. I was happy to have you with me nee chan." She replied.

  Haruhi sat up and hugged her sister tightly. "I'll always be here when you need me Hiromi." Hiromi buried her face in her sister's neck. "I know." She whispered. 'Although sometimes I think you need me, even more than I need you.' She thought in amusement.

~small time skip~

Hiromi stood in front of her floor mirror, looking at her reflection, and she sighed deeply. She was wearing a hideous yellow dress with shoulder pads... the Ouran girls uniform.

After Tamaki and his father offered her a spot as a student, Hiromi accepted eagerly, as it would give her more time with her favorite people. She had been looking forward to her first day for a week. However, if the PTSD episodes were any indication, then she was definitely a little nervous. I mean, why wouldn't she be nervous? After spending three years in a hospital, she's about to attend a high school for the rich. It's a little nerve wracking.

However, Hiromi took solace in knowing that she had all her closest friends to help her through the transition... not to mention her amazing boyfriend.

When Nekozawa had found out that Hiromi would he attending Ouran, he was over the moon. He couldn't wait to spend more time with his girlfriend, and Hiromi felt the same way. There was only one thing that Hiromi had a problem with, and that was the school uniform.

It wasn't because the dress showed off her prosthetic leg; she couldn't care less about that. No, she disliked the uniform because of the shoulder pads. You have to admit, the color is bad enough, but shoulder pads are just overkill. Hiromi felt ridiculous wearing the outfit.

"Hiromi, are you done getting ready yet? It's time to go." Haruhi said as she entered her sister's bedroom. She saw Hiromi standing in front of her mirror fidgeting with her dress. Haruhi sighed deeply. "Are you still uncomfortable with the dress?" She asked in exasperation.

"I feel like a Cremé puff. A banana cremé puff. I hate bananas." Hiromi complained. Haruhi rolled her eyes at her sister's behavior. However, inside, she didn't actually disagree with her sister's discomfort. She definitely didn't envy her either. It was times like this, when Haruhi was glad that she had to dress up as a boy.

"Hiromi, every girl will be dressed the same way as you, so you don't need to feel self conscious. Now come on, if we don't leave now, then dad won't be able to give us a ride." Haruhi said before walking out of the room.

Hiromi sighed one last time at her reflection, before an idea popped into her head and she smiled. 'Now where did I put that thing?'

~ten minutes later~

Haruhi stood by the apartment door, tapping her foot in annoyance. When she finally heard Hiromi's footsteps behind her, she sighed deeply.

"You know, having a false leg is no excuse for moving so slowly." She said in annoyance. "Thanks for that news flash miss news anchor." Hiromi said sarcastically. Haruhi turned around to face her sister and when she saw what she was wearing, she shook her head.

"You're really going to wear that over your uniform?" She questioned as she gestured to Hiromi's pink cat hoodie. "Of course I am." Hiromi replied while smiling shamelessly.

"Not only does it cover those god awful shoulder pads, but it also reminds me of all the support I have. You gave this to me, and the host club fixed it. It's my favorite item of clothing, I'm not about to leave it at home. This sweater is my good luck sweater." She explained before walking past her sister.

"Plus... it's pink. And you can't go wrong with pink." She said happily as she walked out the door.

Haruhi shook her head playfully and smiled as she watched her sister walk away. 'There really is no one else like my sister.'

__________________________________

* I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've updated this story, but I'm back now, and I'll update again soon. Sorry this chapter was a little short.