Sixty Three

For the next couple days I endured being followed by two MPs. I still despised the idea of being watched over like some royal but I only complied for Levi. If it wasn't for that threatening glare of his I wouldn't have agreed to this stupid thing.

I wasn't even allowed to go to my apartment. Well, Erwin thought it was fine due to the officers that watched me but Levi thought different. He sought to it that I stayed in his chambers and that he was the only one allowed in his office.

It wasn't long till people began to notice how different we acted around each other. I attempted to not focus on all the murmuring and stares but, it was starting to annoy me. How the hell did I become the center of attention?

I set my expression to neutral as I strode down the halls. I was on my daily patrol again. Edward was nowhere to be found which only made the situation more suspicious.

We already had a hunch he was connected to the murders but, we needed confirmation. And I couldn't do that when he wasn't around. I still wasn't sure how I would go about this situation.

I didn't want to anger or scare him off. But how do you confront a man who was possibly a murderer? That thought became a constant bother ever since Erwin gave me that order and there was no shaking it off.

With a heavy sigh I stop at my office. I could only imagine the loads of paperwork that awaited me. "Alright, Darius and Seth, you can keep post out here."

A ginger-haired man looks down at me in questioning. His thin lips tug into a frown. "Are you sure Lieutenant Wolfram," Darius inquires. "We can go inside and—"

"That won't be necessary," I assure with a hand on the knob. "I'll be fine."

Before any of them could object I scurry inside. I slam the door shut before breathing out in relief. I shake my head, out of all the MPs Levi could've chosen he had to choose those who were dedicated to their job.

I give a small shrug. It was rare to find an MP who actually did their work. Their dedication is quite admirable.

"So you have bodyguards now?"

A small gasp escapes me with my heart almost bursting free from my chest. Whirling around I find the one person I dreaded to see. Edward lounged on my couch right leg crossed over the other.

His arms rested atop the cushions like he was some sort of god. There was nothing pleasant about his demeanor. The way he no longer grinned that wide grinned and only frowned brought a damper to my mood.

Even the way he stared at me. Nothing about that glimmer in his eyes indicated kindness. My palms started to sweat while I swallow thickly attempting to calm my heart rate. Edward keeps his eyes on me waiting for my reply.

"I—unfortunately, yes. It was Levi's orders," I murmur while watching him roll his eyes.

"Tch, of course it was," he snickers. "You two been getting along quite nicely these past couple weeks, yeah?"

I don't answer, instead I try to understand why he was in my office out of the blue. Coming to Trost he had disappeared just as Erwin suspected. Now he was here irritated by a mere protective gesture from his Captain.

I knew the two hadn't really come to neutral terms but, it didn't give him a right to make that disgusted snarl because of Levi. I narrow my eyes and stride pass his dominant figure with a tsk.

"Is that why you're here in my office? To bitch and whine about your Captain?"

A low whistled escapes my friend then a unamused chuckle. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. I was just asking a question, Em." He stands with a sigh. I swerve around my desk and plant myself in my chair. I watch the young man stand before me with a crooked smile. There was nothing amusing about it. "No need to get hostile."