"Larai." He smiled, coming out of his hiding place, behind a palm tree.

The way her name flowed effortlessly from his mouth, made her heart flutter. "What are you doing here? How did you know I live here?" She fidgeted with the hem of her hijab and looked away.

"Wasn't hard." He shrugged. "I followed you yesterday. I have been waiting for you to come out, not knowing you've left the house already." His brows furrowed. "Do you usually go to the stream this early?"

His words sent warmth to her heart and a smile curled up her lips. "No. Just today."

"Woah! You're so hardworking." He complimented, sending a flush to her cheeks.

"Why are you here?" she inquired, trying so hard to suppress her excitement—which was threatening to burst out.

"Because I wanted to see you, Larai," he admitted.

She blushed—it was exactly what Larai wanted in a man: Someone who knows what he wants and goes for it without hesitating. She was overwhelmed by his words. He didn't beat about the bush.

How adorable!

"From the day I met you, I knew you are someone special. I just came to this village not long ago, so I have no friends. I want to get to know you better. Perhaps we could become good friends?" He smiled. "Will you give me the chance to do that?"

With a smile on her face, she looked everywhere, but in his direction and nodded. "I want to also get to know you better."

"Great," He smirked. "I'm glad you do."

Larai excused herself and went in with the jerrican.

She returned shortly after and directed him to the backyard of the house, where they spent approximately an hour chatting—talking about their dislikes, likes, families, education, and pets.

Time flew by in what seems like seconds. It was just for over an hour, but it felt like they already knew each other for ages.

Their hearts had already been intertwined.

"So, you're done with secondary school?" Yusuf inquired.

"Yes," she responded. "A few months ago."

"Wow!" he exclaimed, seeming utterly entranced. "It's really surprising that despite how education, especially girl's education, is frowned upon in villages you still managed to complete your secondary school. That's remarkable! Is one of your parents perhaps educated?"

"My mother was able to complete her junior secondary school, before being married off to my father. But, unfortunately, none of my siblings were able to go to school, except for me. Ever since childhood, I had always wanted to go to school. Baaba was firmly against it, but somehow, Nna was able to convince him. He agreed to allow me school, but not without conditions."

"Conditions? What were they?" Yusuf pried further.

"I wasn't allowed to leave the house, without completing all of the house chores first. Singlehandedly." She added the last part in a low-pitched voice.

"That must have been really tough on you." He shook his head, slowly.

"Not really." Larai chuckled. "I'm used to these chores, right from childhood."

"So... he imposed the chores on you as punishment or…?" He frowned.

She shrugged. "Something like that."

He hummed in response. "The school is near, right?"

"Fifteen villages."

His pupils dilated. "Fifteen villages? How do you manage to get there on time? Don't you used get late?"