24°

Larai couldn't keep calm. Ever since Yusuf told her her family was safe and that Azumi had sent her messages, she was desperate for Yusuf to return. Without a doubt, she would squeeze every tiny detail out of him. She missed her family that much. She just wanted to make sure they were safe and doing alright. She would never be able to rest otherwise.

The sound of the gates opening had Larai running to the window. She pulled aside the curtains and her mouth formed into a grin at the sight of Yusuf's car advancing into the compound.

In a haste, she picked up her hijab and raced out of the room.

For a reason inexplicable to Larai, her chest tightened and her breath uneven. She couldn't pinpoint the reason. Perhaps, it was due to over-excitement.

The instant she heard a knock on the door, she pulled open the door and stood in the doorway. Her eyes fixated on the fingers she was busy fiddling with.

For a moment, Yusuf didn't say anything to her. He just stood in front of her; his head a bit lowered.

Larai raised her head and inhaled deeply. She was too scared to ask the questions she had been dying to ask. "Welcome back, Yusuf."

"Thank you, Larai." Yusuf walked past her and into the house.

Larai gazed at him for a moment, before following him. "How was your journey? Tiring?"

"Exhausting." He remarked.

Larai mentally hit herself on the head for being so insensitive. Of course, he would be exhausted. And instead of giving him something to eat, or at least to drink, she was asking him unnecessary questions. "Wait here, I will get you something to eat."

"Yes, please." He mumbled.

Larai hurried to the kitchen and returned shortly with a plate of jollof rice and a drumstick. She placed the plate on a stool beside the couch and brought it in front of Yusuf.

He gave an appreciative smile and muttered 'Thank you."

Larai returned the smile and went back to the kitchen to get him something to drink. "Have some water first." She offered him the glass of water she was holding.

Yusuf collected the outstretched tumbler and gulped the whole content down in one go.

Larai sat on the opposite couch and watched him devour his food.

Though she was desperate for him to finish eating, so that she could make inquiries about her family, she knew better than to do that. He went all the way there for her sake and he did say he was exhausted. He deserved to get some rest before she would start bombarding him with questions. She hadn't even started, but she pitied him already because she had a thousand and one questions she wanted to ask him about her family.

Yusuf wiped his mouth with his handkerchief and reclined backward on his seat.

"Are you done?" Larai eyed his plate. He had barely consumed half of the food. He used to like the taste of her food, but it was obvious he didn't like it today. Typically, he would ask for more. Larai wondered what was wrong. Maybe the salt she added was a little too much. Her heart fell at the thoughts running in her mind.

Yusuf gave a curt nod and shut his eyes. He seemed really exhausted.

Larai forced a smile and walked towards him.

She was about to pick up the plate when his eyes fluttered open.

"Just leave it. The maids will do it."

"The maids aren't around. They were given two days off." 

"Why?"

"I have no idea. You should ask your mother, she's the one who dismissed them."