20°

The humid, soft air of August blew over Larai's veil, making the thin material impede her view.

Slowly, she shifted the veil to its place and advanced towards Yusuf, who was leaning against his car and waiting for her.

"How was your first day?" Yusuf flashed the trademark smile of his, which Larai was crazy about. 

Larai tucked a loose strand of her hair underneath her veil and gave a curt smile. So many things had happened in one single day—she got to answer two complex questions from two different lecturers, making her known by them and other students as well. Initially, she thought she wouldn't do so well in her studies, because she had abandoned it for a whole year, but when the results of her JAMB examinations were released, she was astonished by how high her aggregate was—293. She could remember how proud Yusuf and the rest of his family were of her. When her WAEC results were released, everyone wasn't surprised by the straight As she got, for they were already aware of her capability.
"It was awesome."

"I knew you'd say that." Yusuf showed her his thumb. "Let's go? Ammi has prepared several delicacies. I can't wait to taste them." He stuck out his tongue and licked the side of his lips to accentuate his words.

Her eyes dilated and she pointed a hand to her chest. "For me?"

"And for the twins as well."

"Yusrah and Yumnah?"

"Which other twins do you know?"

"Really? You're not kidding?" She enthused. "Yusrah and Yumnah are returning from Morocco today?" It had been four long months since they left for school.

Though Larai had been in communication with them, she missed them terribly, especially Yusrah. The four months they had spent together had straightened the bond between the two of them. Literally, all they did all day long, was talk about books and nothing else.

"Yes. Yusrah didn't tell you, because she wants it to be a surprise, but I ended up ruining it. When you see her, you will have to pretend to be surprised, okay?"

Larai laughed. "Alright then, but what will my reward be?"

"Anything you ask for." He winked. "You know I can do absolutely anything for you."

"Hmm..." She placed a hand underneath her chin. "Do you see that man over there?" She pointed to an elderly-looking man donned in a white shirt, tucked into black trousers and a tie hanging around his neck.

"Yes. What about him?" He raised a brow.

"I want you to walk up to him and punch him square on the face." A mischievous grin tugged at her lips.

"What? Are you crazy?" He chuckled.
"How do you expect me to do that."

"By walking up to him and connecting your fist with his jaw." She shrugged. "It's that simple. You can't do that, can you?"

"Of course not." His lips quirked in a scornful manner.

"So much for 'I can do absolutely anything for you' I knew you were all talks when you said that." Larai derided.

"That's a ridiculous thing to ask of me. The man is old enough to be my father and even if he isn't, I just can't walk up to a stranger and punch him. What'd people think of me?"

"You see? Exactly my point. You shouldn't have used these words: 'absolutely anything'. It's cliche." She pointed out.

Yusuf groaned. "When did you become so hard to impress? I know you understand exactly what I'm meant by my words, so I won't bother explaining."