25. Real interest

There had been one upside with me not being able to contact Ash for a couple of days and that was that I had cleaned my apartment just to get my mind off things. So, when I got home that evening, I didn't have to worry that my mom would take out the vacuum the first thing she did when she got here. But of course, she scrutinized the place as soon as she stepped inside.

"You cleaned just because of me?" she said suspiciously when she had taken the obligatory tour of the apartment.

"How could I?" I sighed. "I didn't know you were coming until a couple of hours ago and I've just been home for half an hour."

She took off her large shawl and tossed it over a chair in the kitchen.

"Then I managed to time my visit pretty damn good then," she smiled and continued into my bedroom. "I wanted to see the state of your suit, you still have it right? It's dad's sixtieth birthday so it'll be a big party and I want you to look your best."

Worried I followed her and tried to remember where the hell I even had my suit. I hadn't worn it for ages, last time was my grandfather's funeral and that was three years ago. I froze when my mom grabbed the handles to my closet. That spot was not clean and tidy. At all. When she opened the door a pile of clothes fell onto the floor in front of her. Quietly she stood there and looked inside at the mayhem.

"Didn't get to this part yet, right?" she said dryly and gave me a long, hard look.

"It was on my to-do list," I grinned apologetically and cursed myself for not taking care of the closet at same time as the rest of the place.

She rolled up the sleeves of her shirt and threw my blanket on the floor, then she grabbed a bunch of clothes and tossed them on the bed.

"Well, let's start fixing it then," she said and nodded to me. "I have no place I need to be anyway."

But I do, damnit.

I didn't say anything, there was no point in trying to stop her now anyway. So, I sat down on the bed like the obedient son I was and started folding clothes. She took military command over the operation and pointed at different places on the bed where I should place t-shirts, pants and sweaters. After a while she held up a white t-shirt in front of me and raised her eyebrows. The words 'Daddy's boy' screamed at me, and I didn't know where to look. How was I supposed to explain that particular piece of clothing? I felt the blush all the way up to my hair line.

"That's just a joke, you know..." I said and tried to smile like it was funny.

"I think it should say 'Mommy's boy' instead," she said matter-of-factly and folded the t-shirt. "You always were. Dad was just a pain to you, at least you thought so when you were younger."

Right. Because that was exactly what those words where about. Relieved, I laughed and agreed with her, thanking every higher power that she had so totally misunderstood the meaning. We continued folding and finally the closet was in order and my mother had managed to dig out the suit. It was wrinkled and roughed up from being on the floor of the closet and she asked irritated if I had an iron.

"Don't know," I confessed.

She marched to the kitchen and went straight to my cleaning closet and produced both an iron and an ironing board. I felt like I was eighteen again, a total newbie in living on my own and not knowing one thing about cleaning or anything.

"And where's the tie?" she demanded. "I couldn't find it in the closet?"

A sudden memory flash of an unknown room in the office building. Ash's hand around my cock. His growling words to me. I swallowed hard and looked out the kitchen window.