Chapter 5

FEDERICO

Domani sits down on the couch in my office, unbuttoning his suit jacket after pouring himself a drink. "From what Luca said, you're going to need more than a shovel to dig out of the crater size hole you threw yourself in. Did you really say she has a personality of a fucking wet mop?"

I grind my teeth at the reminder. "I wasn't being fucking literal."

Domani laughs. "How else do you mean it?"

The chime of a phone stops me from hurling insults at him to wipe the grin off his face. Elenora's friend, Clara, has been blowing up her phone, texting her all fucking day.

"Obviously, last night didn't go as I planned."

"No shit." Domani chuckles. "I lost money betting you'd at least hit first base with her, maybe even settle into third base if you really hit off, but instead you have to fucking grovel and save face. What did your Zia say?" (Aunt)

"First, don't be so fucking dramatic. Second, you know I don't grovel." I walk to the drink table and pour myself some Bourbon. "And Zia Rosetta doesn't need a play by play, Dom."

I pull out Elenora's phone when it chimes again and sit across from him. "She left her phone at the hotel yesterday." I place it on the table between us.

The struggle that took place between her and I after I tried to get her to go out with me replays in my head. She was so fiery compared to our back and forth exchange during the conversation at the table; that was more a defiant front she was putting on. But after what she heard me say about her, it's clear she despises me. Especially, when she tried to pawn off that woman on me, who did imbue the personality of a wet mop.

I found the phone after she left me with that awful woman and her cackling friends. "It's not as bad as you think."

Domani sniggers. "I'm all for confidence, but you fucking let the girl know you wouldn't go near her without the aid of drugs or alcohol, cuz."

"That's why this will work out perfectly when she falls for me on her own."

"I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe go for another sister."

"I can't, one sister appears too impulsive to deal with and Luca has a date with the second sister tonight. I'll be going with Luca to drop off her phone. And while I'm there, I will get her to agree to go out with me."

"Not if she's the one being negotiated into the union with the Clemenza's."

The possibility of that is unsettling, but after my short time with her, it's highly unlikely; she doesn't seem like a docile bride to be. "I doubt it."

A knock comes at the door and Luca walks in. "You ready?"

I throw the rest of my drink back before I stand. "Yeah, I'll follow you, there."

"Good luck, cuz." Domani claps my shoulder as we follow Luca out.

"I don't need luck."

__________________

I follow Luca up the long winding drive and pull up to the house. Tiziano has done well for himself; selling people out to get on top.

"You sure this will work?" Luca questions as he meets me near the front door.

"It will." Though I push some lingering doubts from my head away. It can't be that bad, nothing that a few compliments can't fix.

"There's a chance you'll see Tiziano Borelli face to face, are you prepared for that?" Luca asks, straightening his tie.