Chapter 7

FEDERICO

"Federico, please forgive my daughter's obscene behavior. We are indebted to you for helping us during this time." Tiziano Borelli shakes my hand.

"Yes, we are so appreciative of your offer and your willingness to protect our girls especially, Elenora. She is not who you see today. She has a hard time trusting people...men. Please do not let her impertinence make a final opinion of her," Teresa pleads.

The older Borelli scoffs. "She will not be so disrespectful going forward. You have my word on that, Signore Barone." From the gleam in his eyes, I can only assume he was the door she walked into last month.

"Do not worry, famiglia Borelli, I have had worse things to deal with in life than that of a young woman's combative personality," I assure them. "Now, I do not mean to overstep, but will the girls be secure tonight? I don't think any chances should be taken. The Gallo's will jump on the chance to hurt or even kill someone close to you given the opportunity."

Fear and worry take over Teresa's features as she leans into Tiziano trying to find comfort in the situation they find themselves in—that I helped orchestrate.

"We don't have anyone working tonight," Tiziano informs me. "But I could ask Carlo to stay with them. They usually ask to be dropped off and take a Lyft home or vice versa when they go out."

"Perhaps you can find out which club they are going to for the birthday celebration and let me know. I will send a few men there to keep an eye on them," I offer.

"Grazie, Federico, that is so generous of you." Teresa smiles and kisses my hand. (Thank you)

"Federico." Tiziano stands in front of me and takes a deep breath before he speaks. "My children are my life. I cannot thank you enough for what you are willing to do for us. Please know that I entrust my Elenora to you. I know her life and perhaps even her heart are in your hands now."

I nod trying to contain the triumph I feel, knowing they're letting me in. "I will be in touch about the family get together we will have in a couple of weeks so that our families can meet." I stand, buttoning my suit and head out after excusing myself.

I can't help chuckling thinking about the interaction with Elenora. I was prepared for my past to come up, but I assumed it would be brought up by Tiziano himself, given his connections and profession.

She may have found out through the short lived courtship between Luca and her sister; he must have shared some details to sell the cover.

Luca couldn't go through with what was required, so he ghosted the sister. He was never invested in this plan and participated more out of loyalty than anything.

Whereas I've come too far to be pushed away by a stubborn, ill-mannered spoiled princess. Granted, if I hadn't fucked up that first night when she overheard me talking shit about her, I wouldn't have to be working so hard to earn her trust.

But she doesn't realize I'm already in her mind—and heart, without knowing it was me who kissed her in that empty room at the hotel.

I knew our conversation during the speed dating didn't go as planned and I needed to save face. I found myself surprised when I was compelled to kiss her.

As the kiss progressed, she let herself go and gave in. I still don't understand why I didn't want to stop, but remembering her return the kiss and the sounds and gasps she was making has me curious to find out what else I could make her do from my touch.

I shake the lust filled thoughts from my mind; that will come later. I need to keep my focus and there are other ways to fill those needs.

"Grrghh!" A small voice catches my attention. "Seriously? Why? Someone please tell me why?"