Part 19

I was with Carol hanging clothes when Lori woke up and walked over to us.

"I can't believe I slept in." She mumbled while we were hanging clothes.

"You must have needed it." Carol said kindly.

"Feeling alright?" I asked. She didn't look quite herself.

"Next time wake me okay? Specially on laundry day." She responded avoiding my question.

"It's fine, Y/n is helping me." Carol responded and I continued folding clothes.

"Okay."

"I had an idea I wanted to run by you," Carol said looking at Lori.

"What's that?"

"That big kitchen of theirs got me thinking. I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we all pitch in and cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight. Kind of looking for things to keep my mind occupied."

"After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we could do. But all I'm saying is I'm a shit cook." I added laughing, I earned a few laughs from them aswell. 

"You mind extending the invitation? Would just feel more right coming from you." Carol asked looking back at Lori.

"Why's that?" Lori asked.

"You're Rick's wife. It sort of makes you our unofficial first lady." She responded smiling a bit.

I noticed Rick and Shane were back over from whatever they were doing so I quickly made my way over to them. We wasted enough time already, we needed to find Sophia.

"Morning guys. Let's get going." Rick greeted Andrea, T, and I.

"We've got a lot of ground to cover." Shane said gruffly.

"All right everyone gets a new search grid today. If she made it up to where the farmhouse Daryl found is she might have gone further east than we thought." Rick explained once we reached the truck. I noticed Daryl was there and I gave him a soft smile which he returned.

"I'd like to help." One of the people from Hershel's farm offered. "I know the area pretty well and stuff."

"Hershel's okay with this?" Rick asked after a moment.

"Yeah, yeah. He said I should ask you." He responded the way he said it though... I don't think Hershel knew about it, but I kept my mouth shut.

"All right then. Thanks." Rick responded.

"Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me. Anyone could have been holed up at that farmhouse." Shane spoke up from in the truck.

"Anybody includes her right?" I responded with a hint of venom towards Shane.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl said giving a gesture that showed the person must have been very small.

"It's a good lead." Andrea agreed.

"Maybe we'll pick up her trail again." Rick said hopeful.

"No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her."

"Good idea." T said.

"Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too." Andrea said with a laugh.

"Chupacabra?" I asked skeptically. Rick clearly shared my feelings because he looked at Daryl like he just said walkers weren't real.

"You've never heard this?" T asked.