Chapter 39

Again, I'm sorry for how short this chapter is, but I'm going to be updating another chapter tomorrow, which is going to be SUPER long :)

Also, THIS SEASON'S LEGACIES IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND I AM OBSESSED

*****

Hope's pov

For a few seconds, I just sit there, hugging Lizzie with all the compassion I can muster. Tears are streaming down her cheeks, and her shoulders are shaking uncontrollably.

I never meant for any of this to happen. Why do I always do this? Why does everyone around me always end up getting hurt, for something that I'm responsible for?

I'm about to apologize again, when I realize...

Lizzie has stopped crying.

I pull away, and look into her eyes. "Lizzie... You okay?" I ask in a timid voice.

Lizzie lets out a shaky breath of air, then smiles. "I'm fine, Hope," she answers. "In fact, I'm better of than I've ever been before."

A frown appears on my face. There's something about Lizzie's tone of voice that's bothering me.

She stands up, and brushes off the splinters that cover her clothes.

"Well... If you're really fine," Josie says unsurely, "We should probably get going. I think we can make it to Freya's coffin before Elijah gets back. Since your vampirism prevents you from entering Klaus's building, Hope and I will drag the coffin out. Then we'll perform the time traveling spell, and go back to 2011."

"Actually, Josie," Lizzie says, that unnerving smile still plastered onto her lips, "I was hoping to make a short stop elsewhere."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I'm going to go kill Elijah, of course," Lizzie replies.

Josie and I stare at her.

"Lizzie, I get that you're mad at Elijah for what he did to you, but-"

"Mad?" Lizzie laughs. "Josie, I'm not mad at him. It's just..." she ponders her next words for a moment.

"Gosh, I don't really know what to say," Lizzie pauses. "I guess the bet way to put it would be that I want the world to be a fair place. He stabbed me in the gut, so I think I'll go ahead and do the same."

She turns around to march out the door, and that's when the dreadful realization hits me.

"Lizzie, no!" Josie grabs Lizzie's wrist, not having caught on. "Are you crazy? Hope, talk some sense into-"

"No," I breathe.

"What?" Josie shouts at me.

"No..." I falter. "She can't be reasoned with. Lizzie turned her humanity off."

Two long seconds pass by in stunned silence.

Suddenly, Lizzie lets out a cackle. "Oh, you're good, Hope," she says. "If only you were that good at not killing off everyone close to you," Lizzie sighs disappointedly. "But no matter. I don't hate you or your father for making me turn into a vampire anymore. As you can see, I'm perfectly happy with what I am. Now, if you'll excuse me."

She resumes her walk for the exit.

"Lizzie!" Josie continues to try and pull her sister back. It's a futile effort, of course. Lizzie's supernatural strength can't be matched up by Josie's, which is equivalent to that of a human's.