Ch. 22: Firefly

Ayaara's P.O.V.

My hand trailed up to the back of his head, my fingers brushing into his hair as he remained tucked tightly in my arms.

I kept my eyes closed and exhaled silently.

It hurt me deeply seeing the anguish he held inside.

It made me realize that he matters to me more than I could explain to anyone.

Yasir's P.O.V.

My jaan. Having you in my arms, receiving your tenderness, feeling your pure heart against mine—you are a mercy sent to me.

The way you fit in my embrace is as though you were made just for me.

You are my sense of peace and relief while I drown in the guilt and burden of my sins.

We pulled back slowly when we heard the living room doors open in the distance.

Ayaara had tears in her eyes. She was looking at me with grief-laden orbs, as if she sensed the turmoil inside me.

She quickly wiped the tears after they spilled and pulled a smile onto her lips as Ami and Elora came into view.

"You're still here, gudiya?" Ami asked.

"Yes, Aunty. We were just talking."

"I see..." she then gave her a playful look, "I can give you two another conversation topic to discuss. See, Ayaara, I'm not getting any younger. Like other mums my age, I too have dreams! I want to become a mother-in-law and a grandmum. You're his friend. He will listen to you. Tell Yasir to get married."

Ayaara chuckled softly before glancing at me.

"What?! Rukhsana told me she is looking for a wife for Qasim. She suggested I do the same for you. It's not a bad idea. What do you say, beta?" She teased me.

Ayaara looked at me amused.

"If you have anyone in mind, I'm all ears." She furthered, her eyes bouncing from me to Ayaara then back at me.

"Ami."

She rolled her eyes and sighed jokingly before facing Ayaara, "You're staying for dinner. It's almost six. Maghrib won't be too long after we finish eating, so you can pray then Yasir will drop you after."

"Aunty-"

Ami clicked her tongue, "You call me Aunty, yet you act so formal."

"It's because I don't consider you my aunty."

Her smile faltered.

"You're like my mother. I wouldn't want to trouble my mother." Ayaara continued endearingly.

Ami leaned forward and caressed her face with an emotional smile. Ayaara caught a hold of her hand and pressed a kiss to it, keeping them in hers as Ami spoke, "Taking care of one's child is never trouble to a mother."

She squeezed my mother's hands.

"I'm also going to miss you tomorrow, gudiya." Ami grimaced.

Ayaara was going to start reporting to my office for the next phase of Ami's project. Ami had finished her designs and now Ayaara was moving on to finding Ami a tailoring team she could work with then a potential fashion show venue.

"Me too." Ayaara frowned.

"Find some potential tailors for me quickly then you will be coming back here more. I want you by my side when I meet them."

"Of course, Aunty."

She pecked Ayaara's temple before chuckling and shooting me a jesting look, "Let me go tell the chef to add some more seasoning to the food since Ayaara will be joining us. Also, gudiya, could you come with me? I just want to show you one of the designs one last time before we move forward with the project."