July 17, 1933

Liesl was walking back from the grocery store when a boy, who was running past, stopped in front of her and asked, "Have you seen a small boy? He may have had some bigger boys chasing him."

She stared at the brunet and frowned. "I no-" She gestured to her head and shrugged.

He looked at her curiously and sighed. "You don't understand me, do you?"

Liesl shook her head. "Sehr wenig. Verzeihung."

(Very little. Sorry.)

The boy sighed again. "Well thanks anyway. I'll find that punk myself. What's your name?"

"Liesl," she replied sweetly.

"Nice to meet you. I'm James, but everyone calls me Bucky. I'll see you around, Liesl."

Bucky ran off and Liesl smiled, letting his name roll off her tongue. "Bucky."

She didn't know how or why, but she could somehow tell that the brunet would become tremendously important to her. And perhaps the friend Bucky had spoken of as well.

Deafening shouts caught her attention and she turned to see a small blond boy trying and miserably failing to throw punches.

She walked up to the bullies and glared. "Hallo! Wählen Sie jemanden in Ihrer eigenen Größe aus!"

(Hey! Pick on someone your own size!)

She threw a punch and one of the guys laughed. "Aw, the little girl wants to defend her beau."

Liesl glared at him. She didn't know what he was saying, but something about his taunting tone infuriated her.

Bucky, who'd heard the commotion, found his friend. "Steve, come on. You can't keep-" He stopped, seeing Liesl. "Seriously? You got her involved too?"

Steve shot his friend a look. "No, she just showed up. You know her?"

Bucky pulled Steve and Liesl away. "Just met her not ten minutes ago. Steve, this is Liesl. Liesl, this is my best friend Steve. The one I was trying to find."

Liesl smiled and waved before saying, "I go now." She grabbed her stuff and left.

Steve stared after her. "Hell of a girl you found."

Bucky shrugged. "Guess I have a knack for finding people who like proving themselves and standing up for the little guy. Come on, let's get you cleaned up."

"Thanks, Buck."

Bucky nodded. "Sure, pal."