December 31, 1939

Liesl ran ahead of her friends and said, "Come on! I don't want to miss it!"

Bucky chuckled softly. "We're not gonna miss it, doll. We have until midnight."

Steve looked between his friends. "What do you two think this new decade will be? Do you think we'll go to war?"

Liesl shrugged. "We may, but why worry about that when we're not even in the war?"

"Your home country is."

She sighed. "I've read the papers and heard the news on the radio. But let's not think about the war please. What do you plan on doing with the coming year?"

Bucky smiled at her and said, "I don't know yet." That was a lie. He did know. He planned to ask her to court him.

When they finally reached Times Square, they huddled together to keep warm.

Soon, the countdown started.

Ten.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

"Happy New Year!"

Bucky turned to Liesl and the two shared a kiss, unknowingly sealing their fate.

Steve smiled, glad the two were finally giving in to what he suspected they'd felt for some time.

Bucky smirked lightly as he said, "Leave it to a new year to bring new change."

Liesl laced her fingers through Bucky's as she said, "Here's to the start of possibly the best adventure."

Bucky caught her gaze. "It's already been the best adventure, doll."

Steve smiled at his friends. "And here's hopefully to many more."