December 10, 1941

Bucky got the mail and noticed an official looking seal.

He walked back to his apartment and closed the door behind him, apparently louder than he should have.

"Watch it," Liesl said. "Sewing here."

"Sorry, doll," he apologized.

She stopped what she was doing and looked at her fiancé and asked, "Buck, are you all right? What is it?"

He held up the draft notice. "I have to report for basic training in two days time."

Liesl stood and cupped his face. "Oh, Buck."

He rested his head on top of hers. "As soon as I get back, I want to get married. With the country now at war, I want to have you to come back to. You as my wife."

"I love the sound of that. I'll be waiting anxiously."

He kissed her, almost in a desperate manner, and said, "I'm gonna miss you, doll."

"I'll miss you too. I'll be counting down the days until I see you again."

He smiled softly. "I will too."

Bucky picked up his bags and grabbed her hand. He slowly let his hand slip through hers before leaving the apartment.

As the door closed behind him, all he wanted to do was run back to her and stay, but he knew his requirement to report for service was more important, as sad as that was.

At least he knew Liesl would be awaiting his return, just as he was waiting to see her again. It was only a few months, right?