11: The Last Chapter

"I get it..." Daniel mumbled, careful about not coming on too strong in his compliments of the outrageously bad story in his hands. He put the paper down on the bed beside him and was quiet for a moment, pretending to ponder the revelations at the end of the chapter.

"Of course, that's why the capybaras were there before!" he exclaimed, but not too loudly. "It all makes sense now."

He glanced at the walkie-talkie, hoping that the person on the other end has bought his act this time. After all, he'd put a lot of effort into seeming like he wasn't acting. Perhaps that was the true mark of good acting, to merge the act with reality so well that the two could no longer be separated.

"I knew you would get it eventually, Daniel," came the smug reply.

Daniel didn't raise his fists in victory or scream out his joy. He didn't show his satisfaction outwardly. Because then perhaps it had all been for naught. But inside, fireworks--not unlike the ones surrounding Ramon and Lucinda in the cave--of joyous emotions exploded.

Perhaps he was a decent actor after all. Perhaps he could get himself out of this.

"I guess it's time to act," he concluded into the walkie-talkie. "I assume there's a capybara costume in the drawers?"

"Third drawer to the right," the voice on the other side instructed him.

***

Sweaty and exhausted, Daniel fell face-first onto the floor of the stage. The scene was finished. Now he just awaited the verdict.

In his hand was a wooden sword that he'd swooshed around to mimic Prince Ramon's battle moves. On his back hung a pelt--perhaps of beaver skin? Because surely capybara skin wouldn't be easy to find--of short and rugged brown far. He'd pulled it over his head at the end of the scene to show the prince's transformation from human to... beast?

Perhaps having acted out Björn the Bearslayer turning from Viking to bear had prepared Daniel for this part.

It was certainly true that you never knew which skills would come in handy later in life.

The scene had taken a lot out of Daniel. He'd given his all. He'd acted his fucking balls off.

He'd enjoyed it. It might sound weird but it was true. Because he'd been able to just act--the thing he loved most in life--without any lingering thoughts on fame or fortune. He'd been able to just be in the moment. He'd been Prince Ramon.

After a few moments had gone by, with no applause--the usual sign of success--Daniel anxiously looked up. Drops of sweat still trickled down his forehead. Whatever animal this pelt came from, it sure was warm.

Only darkness met him. Darkness and the sound of whistling.

Then the applause started. More enthusiastic in cadence than ever before. "Great job!" the author complimented him. "It's almost too bad the story is almost over."

"Over?" Daniel asked, worried he'd heard something wrong.

"Yeah, I'll let you go back to the room and get a good night's sleep now. And then I'll give you the last chapter tomorrow."

And then? Daniel didn't ask. He knew better than to question things by now. But surely, the author had to let him go after the last scene was acted out. Since he'd never even seen their face, it shouldn't be a risk to do so.

He probably had already missed his booked flight to London--considering how many scenes he'd acted out by now, he'd probably spent at least a day and a half in captivity. But hopefully, he still stood a chance to catch a flight back to London before the meeting with his agent Vanessa to sign the lucrative movie contract. Then his adventures as Captain Universe awaited.

Although perhaps he could convince Vanessa to let him pop home to Scotland to hug his sister and niece briefly before it all began. Because that felt like the most important thing in the world, or even the universe, right now.

With that thought in his head, he walked confidently off the stage. "Just one more chapter," was the lingering thought in his head.

Then it would all be over. He would once again be free.

Author's Note: As you may have guessed, this isn't the last chapter. At least not of this story :)