CHAP. 1

1959

   A young girl sits behind the sizable cluster of parents and sons in the back. The young men in front of her sported blank faces and Welton blazers. To her left younger boys sit wearing the same uniform. A wide array of emotions paint their faces.

   Across the high-ceilinged room stood the headmaster of Welton at a podium. Mr. Nolan wasn't very tall, 5'6 at most. His head was adorned with what few white strands his scalp would provide, and his face was equally as deserted, though of emotion instead. He was the head of a school that the girl was never meant to grace with her presence.

   For the majority of her life, (Y/n) lived with her parents in London. Mother shared with her a love for music. And Father shared his love for literature. More specifically, poetry. Not a single day went by that (Y/n) wasn't reminded just how much she was loved. Her parents, teachers, and fellow students; all adored her. Now, by describing her in such a way you may think poorly of her. But I ask you to reconsider that thought. For she never took for granted the adoration she was provided and kept her ego under moderation.

   The love between her mother and father was something out of a fairytale. Not in the sense that involved a tower or a witch. But the kind that ends with a match constructed by the gods. (Y/n) could listen to their love story all her life and never bore of the romantic tale.

   Her father had been teaching in London for quite some time. He loved his job, but deep down he longed for more. When a position opened at the all-male preparatory school he once attended, his longing was answered. This school was desperate to replace their previous and now retired English teacher, and he met and exceed the requirements.

   He applied and was interviewed. The job was his until he mentioned his one caveat; accommodations must be made so that his daughter could reside with him at the school if she wished to. The administration wasn't particularly fond of this condition. They tried to work around it but Father would not budge. The school year was to start in three weeks. There was no time to find someone else, and well, he was a perfect fit.

    (Y/n) was more than excited to travel with her father to The States. Her mother was understanding. She knew her daughter needed an adventure, as well as her husband. Their belongings were packed and their goodbyes had been shared. After a long trip, they settled into their new living arrangements. Father had his own office which also stood as a full apartment in one room. (Y/n) was to sleep in a bedroom made up of an old storage closet. She would make do.

   Father spent the whole week before the fall semester planning his lessons. (Y/n) took this time to explore the school and meet the teachers. Many were not thrilled to have a girl on campus, saying she would only be a distraction to the boys' education. She made it a point to avoid those teachers when possible.

-

   (Y/n) wasn't interested in what Mr. Nolan had to say. So she diverted her focus to the large, green hat the lady in front of her was wearing. "100 years ago, in 1859, forty-one boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that now greets you at the start of each semester." It took all of (Y/n)'s self-control to not impulsively reach up and touch the feather protruding from the hat. "-And 75% of those went on to the Ivy League." She had always thought of making it to the Ivy League. But unfortunately, only Harvard was allowing women to enroll, and only for medical education. Doesn't give one much room to venture out and explore the possibilities, does it?