Richard Cameron 1.

"What do you think Yale will smell like?" Pitts looked ahead as he asked. "I'm sorry, what?" What kind of question is that? Since he received his acceptance letter, the Ivy League school is all he can talk about. "Like, does it smell like books, mildew, cologne. What do you think?" I wasn't going to judge his strange question too harshly. I was happy to see him so excited. "It'll probably smell like Welton, just less teenage boy reek and no stench of McCallister's pipe."

   His hand stretched in front of my face, stopping me in my tracks. "Okay, we don't 'reek'. Our scent is the natural aroma of a strong work ethic." The sass of this bean pole. I let out an exaggerated sigh as I turned and placed my hands on his shoulders. "My dear friend…You are full of shit." He swatted my hands away with an offended expression, but it faded quickly as we both began to laugh.

    My laughter quieted as I had an inkling that someone was watching. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the sight of flaming red hair. It disappeared down the hall just as quickly as it came into view. "Hey, I'll see you later. Don't forget to remind everyone that we're having dinner at my house on Friday." 

   "Yeah, sure." We shared a smile before we parted ways. I expected that I would need to be quick if I was going to catch up with the red-head. To my surprise, as I turned the corner I practically ran directly into him. Our hands fumbled to our sides as we tried to regain our composure. "Sorry, I thought you'd be further away."

   He raked his fingers through his hair as he shoved the remaining in his pocket. "Ah..Uh, no."
There was a brief silence between us as the numbers in the hall dwindled. I could only think of the previous months. This boy spilled the truth, overwhelmed by rules and expectations. He broke my trust. I was never overly nice to him, but I didn't deserve to be betrayed. His face contorted in discomfort as I stared at him, the one that displayed innocence when that was not the case.

   "How have you been, Cameron?" Shock, disbelief, and relief expressed themselves in order upon his freckled face. "I've been fine…"
I was upset, sure. But not as much as before. In truth, deep down, I knew if I was him, I would have done the same thing. The highest expectations for you being held by yourself. The stress, anxiety, that constant weight. No, I couldn't be mad. I missed him. Though we all acted as if he was an annoyance, he wouldn't have been a part of that group if we didn't want him there.

   "Got some time to spare?" I wanted to know what his life had been like through the months of distance. "Sure." He threw his thumb over his shoulder, pointing down the hall. "My room? Pitts probably ran off with Meeks." He wasn't avoiding me. That's good. "Yeah, that works."

   I had forgotten they shared a room. I was only ever in there with Meeks when Cameron was out doing who knows what. I sat down on Meeks's bed and Cameron stayed standing by the door. "Do you have a plan yet? When you graduate?"
He shrugged and aimed his focus out the window. "I've got a couple acceptance letters. I'll just pick what feels right." I nodded. "That's good. You've got options." He turned his focus to me. "How've you been?" 

   I smiled, pleased that he asked. "I've been good. I don't know if you already knew this, but my mom moved here with us." He pulled away from the door, sitting on his bed across from me. "I'm sure Keating's real happy about that." "Yeah, he really is."

   He linked his hands together in front of him, his elbows resting on his knees. He looked down, I suppose looking for the best phrasing. Once he met my eyes with his own, they were filled with remorse. "I know you're pissed. You have every right to be. I never wanted to hurt you or Keating. I let Nolan get to me…" He inhaled sharply. "I'm sorry, Y/n."

   Cameron's not one to apologize. I knew that much. He meant it, he was sorry. I was sorry too. My body impulsively got up and moved to sit beside him. "You just did what you thought you had to. I was angry, but I understand why you signed." My hand connected with his. "And I'm sorry too. The Dead Poets have been through a lot, and that includes you. We distanced ourselves from you just as much as you did us."

   In the heat of the moment, I wrapped my arms around him. He was tense at first, but began to melt into my touch, wrapping his own arms around me. "I really missed having you around, Richard." He didn't say anything, but I felt him nod against my shoulder. That and the return of affection said enough. We held the embrace for a few moments before breaking apart with shared smiles. "The others are coming over on Friday for dinner. I don't know if you'd feel comfortable with it, but I'd really like it if you'd join us. You could meet my mother and maybe some old bonds might be mended?"

   He didn't seem too sure, only able to assure me that he'll consider it. The week passed by in a flash and soon it was Friday night. I finished straightening the silverware beside the plates. Everything was in place. The door opened and the sound of footsteps followed. I straightened my dress as my father and the boys walked into the living room. "We have arrived!" Mr. Keating shouted into the house. I made my way to the group. "Welcome home." I gave him and the others a hug as I gathered their coats and put them away. "What is that pleasant aroma?" Charlie wafted in the scent of my mother's cooking. She stepped into the room, wiping her hands on a washcloth. "That would be dinner. Welcome, Gentlemen. Please make yourselves at home." She gave them a sweet smile before kissing her husband and sliding back into the kitchen.

   Charlie turned to me. "She's got the accent and everything!" He joined the others who had placed themselves on the couch and chairs. I walked over to the window overlooking the front lawn and pulled back the pale blue curtains. No sign of Cameron. I got my hopes up, thinking he'd show. I tried to shrug off my disappointment when my mother called us to the table.

   We all sat down, Todd to my left and to my right an empty seat. "Oh, are we expecting someone else?" Mrs. Keating gestured to the unoccupied seat. I looked over to my father inaudibly asking if he knew anything about Cameron's whereabouts. He knew I had invited him. He shrugged gently with a sympathetic smile. I sighed and put on a smile. "I guess not." Just then, someone knocked on the door. "I'll get it!" I practically ran to the door. Upon opening it, I saw Cameron holding a bouquet of dahlias and peonies. "I hope I'm not too late."

   I grinned as I took his hand, guiding him inside. "You're just on time." Every eye was on the red-head as we approached the table. The boys shared faces of shock and disgust, while Mr and Mrs. Keating smiled. "Momma, this is my friend, Richard Cameron." She stood and made her way over. "Wonderful to meet you." He shook her hand, almost dropping the bouquet that was barely avoiding slipping from the crook in his elbow. "Oh! I brought you these." He handed her the bouquet. "Goodness, what sweet friends my daughter has. You go ahead and take a seat and I'll put these in water." She disappeared into the kitchen and we took our seats. 

   What I feared ensued, awkward silence. Meeks looked down at his plate. Charlie, Knox, and Pitts looking at Cameron. And Todd and Neil looking at me. The silence was finally broken by my mother as she returned to her seat. "Please, everyone, dig in!" Everyone except for Cameron, Charlie and I started filling their plates. Charlie continued the staredown. You could cut the tension between them with a knife. I was about to say something when Charlie's face softened and he asked, "How's your nose, Cameron?"

   The boys all stopped, looking up at the two. A small smile crept onto Cameron's face and he began to laugh. The tension broke and everyone joined in. Oh, how I had missed this. My friends together and happy. 

Author's Note:
Consider this friendship cute and mended!!!!